NIGEL KOHRING NKReptiles very bad guy - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-28-2003, 12:22 PM   #11
Darin Chappell
Well, there is no doubt that those two pictures of the same snake. So, that means that SOMEONE has not been honest about what they are selling. Did NIgel post both of those ads?

Old 06-28-2003, 12:51 PM   #12
The BoidSmith
In contrast with the "pastel" ball pythons, there seems not to be a clear standard to define "pastel" boas or, if there is, there is also a lot of "confusion" as to what charcterizes them. Most of the ones I have seen labeled as such seem to have one characteristic in common, no speckling in their background. The color between the saddles varies but it usually has pinkish hues. This snake is a partial stripe, anyone can tell that from the picture. It doesn't strike me as a Pastel, but then again there are so many "pastels" out there as people breeding boas. "Jungle"? You can check for the pictures of Kahl's web page on jungles and superjungles, and form your own opinion. I'm not sure if Ihle is breeding jungles, but that would be easy to verify with Rich or John. Whatever she is, it's a nice looking boa. She probably couldn't care less about who name her what as long as some rodents are going her way! But I agree with you, if you are going to pay $450 for her she's better have some "pedigree".

Regards,

Old 06-28-2003, 01:33 PM   #13
Ed Lilley
The first picture I took at my home, the second pic with the pink backround is off kingsnake photogallery, where they are listed as a pastel stripe, I wont mention the name as I have had no problem or dealings with this party. I've got another pic of the same snake posted by Nigel on the photo gallery claiming it a jungle. See NKReptiles photos.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2003, 01:46 PM   #14
Ed Lilley
Alvaro,
As far as her being listed at $450 I mentioned that because, jungles run $2500, I got 2 in trade but was figuring a retail value of $4000 - $5000 on the 2, not $900 quite a difference. I have got an adult breeder male lemon pastel jungle ball into them. The boas I got are great looking but who knows what the actual genetics are now with all of the lieing. Take the lieing into account and I give them a value of $125 each. The other problem is that others have bought these around $2000+ and they need to know before this fraud is further perpitrated.

Ed Lilley

Old 06-28-2003, 02:01 PM   #15
The BoidSmith
Quote:
As far as her being listed at $450 I mentioned that because, jungles run $2500, I got 2 in trade but was figuring a retail value of $4000 - $5000 on the 2, not $900 quite a difference. I have got an adult breeder male lemon pastel jungle ball into them. The boas I got are great looking but who knows what the actual genetics are now with all of the lieing. Take the lieing into account and I give them a value of $125 each. The other problem is that others have bought these around $2000+ and they need to know before this fraud is further perpitrated.
Ed,

I hear you. That's why it suprised me that someone was claiming those boas to be "jungles". As far as I understand, the "jungle" trait is co-dominant, so they are either jungles or not (there's no such thing as hetero for jungle). The pictures show very nice looking boas as you say. But that's as far as we can go. In my opinion nice, good looking, partial striped boas. But, as you say, call the experts. Send Pete Kahl a picture and ask him for his opinion he is a good guy to deal with and will have no problem to give you his opinion on the subject. Have you been able to get a hold of Nigel and inquire about their origin? Are you saying you trade these for an adult breeder lemon ball python?

Regards.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
Ed Lilley
Yes I traded my lemon pastel male breeder! As far as ID'ing them visually they could just be abberrant patterned boas, and look jungle.

Old 06-28-2003, 06:52 PM   #17
Boavoyage
Quote:
As far as ID'ing them visually they could just be abberrant patterned boas, and look jungle
I agree with Ed. Jungle is a co-dominant trait. The reason they are expensive because Jungle is genetic. There are some has "jungle" look, but it's not genetic. I have seen 6 "jungle" looking babies came from a litter of two normal, dark Colombian boas, which were kept together in a garage w/o heat. The owner has kept them like that, and one day they got horny, bred, and gave a litter w/ 6 babies looked like "jungle". They were sold as $60.00-$80.00 each. The next thing is they were posted as much as $1000.00.

Old 06-28-2003, 08:18 PM   #18
Gib
Well about the CA hypo...

I was unforunate enough to buy the Hypo CA..and I dont think it was a cross...Looked more like a really light phase Nicaraguan...or if it was a cross More like a hogg /nic cross...definitly not a hypo in the sense as what we see on the market today..Kind of washed out and Hoggish hypo...Nasty CA temperment as well...But it was a really nice looking animal and was worth what I paid for it I guess...Well would have been if it had been healthy....Well to make a long story short I managed to get it to eat once for me..about 3-4 weeks after I got her...and that was after its second de-worming...(it was Full O parasites) and it died about a month later....

Ed I would say what you got is noth more than a nice abberant patterend boa...Just like my "Hypo" was nothing more than a really light colored washed out BCI...(ill seee if I still got some pics of it floating around here somewhere)

Do I think he is a bad guy...prolly not...Just very misinformed...

Just my .02 though...

Chris Gibson

Old 06-28-2003, 09:49 PM   #19
Winter
"CA hypo"

Chris,

First, I am very sorry to hear about your experience.

Did you ever contact Nigel regarding the animal's health? As per the terms stated on his website, that boa was not represented accurately from what you describe, completely aside from its actual origins.

From Nigel Kohring Reptiles:

Quote:
All animals are sold properly sexed and feeding.
Nigel is registered here, and perhaps he can post and shed some light on Ed's "jungle" boas. Has he been informed of this thread yet?

Regards,

Lauren Rost

Old 06-29-2003, 02:39 AM   #20
Gib
well I wasnt too awfully worried about it...not uncommon for snakes to go a lil while without feeding after being shipped and I also figured to be a fresh import....So I was just going to wait her out.....and she wasnt losing any weight after being wormed....

and when she died it had been probally 2 months after i purchased her...so I didnt see how i could hold Nigel responsible...

And as far as it not being repersented accurately..it wasnt what he said it was..But I was sent pics of the snakes so I knew what I was getting beforehand....Wasnt like he was pulling a fast one on me or anything.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!