Parakeet Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
ShortStack
Parakeet Question

Does anyone know what would cause 2 parakeets to suddenly begin flapping really fast, shaking, fall to the bottom of their cages, and then stop breathing and die? My boyfriend has 3 and about 2 days ago 1 of them did that. We were shaken up, but just figured it was a fluke so to speak. Then suddenly last night, a second one did it. There was no warning with either bird, and they have been fine up until that has happened. They haven't been fighting or picking on one another, have food/water and a clean cage, and nothing has changed with their care or environment. I'm worried for the last one, and wondering if she should be taken to the vet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Lucille
One guess is it could be a chemical- contaminated food or a spray in the air (not sprayed by you, but maybe neighbors spraying their garden?) Sometimes using Teflon/PTFE nonstick pot ware/light bulbs and overheating them can kill birds quickly, I've heard.
My condolences on your birds

Old 06-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
ShortStack
I haven't seen the neighbors spraying anything, but I don't live with my boyfriend so I'm not there all the time, so I guess that's a possibility. None of the other animals are having issues though, so think it could still be that? The dogs are outside several times a day and are fine, whereas the birds are never outside, obviously. I've never heard the thing about the Teflon, so that's an interesting one. I just don't know, and it really bugs me. He did have loud music on when the first one happened and we were watching a movie with the second, but I don't see how the noise could be a factor. We've watched a million movies and listened to music tons of times around them, so why would that all of a sudden make a difference? It wasn't any louder than before, and I think it's odd they both died within 2 days of each other, the exact same way. I think it has to be something else other than the music/movie volume. That's what he's worried about- That it was too loud or something. He did move about 2 months ago, but they haven't seemed stressed and again- it's been 2 months. If that would've done it, I'd think it would've been sooner.Sorry, I know I'm rambling, I'm just trying to make sense of it, and I'd like to figure it out because there still is one left. I think I'll do some poking around on-line and see what I can find, too and if that doesn't get me anywhere maybe call a vet?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Sariel
Without being a vet that sounds very much like something chemical to me as well.. I lost a bird years ago to teflon poisoning, its death was alittle less showy and alot more slow and painful, but they might not always react the same.
Vet might be in order, though generally with the really small birds there isnt much they can do.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
ShortStack
Thanks, Allie. The place he lives in isn't very big and there's not really a division between the living room and kitchen, and technically their cage is in the "kitchen" area. I'm wondering if that's it. I had no idea that could affect them, and have no clue where to put the cage. It's a huge one, and like I said, that place isn't very big at all. Before he moved here, they were in the living room, and there was a door to the kitchen that was always closed, so they would've never been exposed to much of anything from the kitchen. I wondered if a vet would even do much since they are *just* parakeets. They are family like the rest of our pets to us, but I know some small animals don't get much attention so to speak from vets because they are considered "disposable". Sigh. I just feel so bad. I wasn't there for the first, but I saw the second and it wasn't pretty

Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Lucille
The problem with teflon/PTFE is that once the damage is done it is hard to undo.
I would definitely put up the nonstick cookware and ask your bf if he has put in shatterproof bulbs, they have PTFE.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
ShortStack
Thanks, Lucille. I'll do that when I talk to him.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
rosebud945
Another less well known sources of toxins for birds are scented candles.

As for louder than usual noise, it can cause sudden death in birds and fish. Was the sound unusually loud? If not, then toxins are the most likely cause since they died so close together. Both could have been exposed to a toxin, but it took one a bit longer to die from it.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
rosebud945
*Other* (another)

Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
ShortStack
No scented candles around. The noise wasn't any louder than it has been before. I also spoke with some people on a parakeet forum, and they agreed the teflon was likely but also mentioned self-cleaning ovens. Less than a week ago he got a new oven and one of the first things he did was run the cleaning cycle. Then this happened. I'm thinking that's likely the cause.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!