By Far the Coolest Thing I've Ever Kept! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
IMAJACOBIAN
Ask the vet about probing, but I'm not very familiar with them at all. If you can't safely probe them, maybe an ultrasound at the vet would be affordable. That should give a very clear picture wether it's a boy or girl. I would assume you could probe it though. If you could'nt find how deep they probe, you could possibbly find someone else who has a couple of them and probe them all for comparison to figure out how deep they probe.

If I question myself with an animal, I err on the cautious side and will not pop or probe them myself and find someone more experienced to do it for me. I don't even like popping baby corns because they are soo small, but with Burms they are soo easy to pop while young and it is obvious what sex it is.

I also didn't realize the they got soo big. I thought they stayed smaller than that. I would imagine that a 300 gallon sounds like a good size, but I wish I knew more about them as a species. I would surf craigslist or somewhere like that to find a suitable used aquarium, it would probably save you some big bucks. I never buy new aquariums and build almost every bit of my caging now.

Are you able to handle it, or does it lash out or go limp or deficate on you when you do? Can you get them swapped to redents when they get bigger? Do you keep a cover over the setup or will they remain in the water on their own will. Please keep us informed on your progress. I would love to see a pic of your setup once it's all put together.

Jacob

Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Pythonbreeder99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAJACOBIAN View Post
Ask the vet about probing, but I'm not very familiar with them at all. If you can't safely probe them, maybe an ultrasound at the vet would be affordable. That should give a very clear picture wether it's a boy or girl. I would assume you could probe it though. If you could'nt find how deep they probe, you could possibbly find someone else who has a couple of them and probe them all for comparison to figure out how deep they probe.

If I question myself with an animal, I err on the cautious side and will not pop or probe them myself and find someone more experienced to do it for me. I don't even like popping baby corns because they are soo small, but with Burms they are soo easy to pop while young and it is obvious what sex it is.

I also didn't realize the they got soo big. I thought they stayed smaller than that. I would imagine that a 300 gallon sounds like a good size, but I wish I knew more about them as a species. I would surf craigslist or somewhere like that to find a suitable used aquarium, it would probably save you some big bucks. I never buy new aquariums and build almost every bit of my caging now.

Are you able to handle it, or does it lash out or go limp or deficate on you when you do? Can you get them swapped to redents when they get bigger? Do you keep a cover over the setup or will they remain in the water on their own will. Please keep us informed on your progress. I would love to see a pic of your setup once it's all put together.

Jacob
I am having the vet sex it since I am so unfamiliar with the species, I pop all my ball pythons and probed my baby kings and waters when I had them. If the vet probe doesn't work I will ask about an ultrasound. And as far as I know the one I have is the only one in the state so a comparison would be nearly impossible. The tank I found actually is from my next door neighbor who keeps fish and has recently upgraded to a 110g so he doesn't need the 75g anymore, he is throwing in 2 filters and a hood with light for only $50 (talk about convenient) so that is the plan until I can find another animal of the opposite gender. He is very very slow and unnatural out of water so I doubt he would be able to hit me out of the water and I hook him to get him out since I've heard they have very fragile teeth and leave quite a few behind if they tag you underwater. All the sites I've read say they are very strict fish eaters so I strongly doubt they will ever take rodents and I've also read that if they can get out they most likely will so I'll keep a cover on the tank. I will certainly post pictures of the setup once its complete! Also, yesterday I got him some minnows to eat and was able to watch him eat from a distance, it was bar none one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
IMAJACOBIAN
That is really cool. I have never seen any snake eat in the water other than a few instances my Burms end up in their water with their food but nothing like I could imagine that would be like. They look like a very interesting species to keep, but I have zero clue on breeding conditons needed. Ball Pythons are fairly simple for me to pop as well since they're not too small. I would kinda assume they can be gently popped by someone with the experience with them or similar species. I would just be afraid to myself.

That's a good deal for 50 bucks too. I ran into a couple of 90 gallon tanks a while back that were in good shape and held water. There was one big pump but no lids. I picked up both for $80 and was really just lucky in that deal. I ended up flipping them on their side and turned them into front opening caging.

I don't know where I read it, but I kinda remember reading somewhere that they do better in a slow moving water without too powerful of a head, but I couldn't swear to it.

Let us know how the vet vist goes. I would love to see someone successfully breed them. I don't know if it's been done in captivity and if so I'm sure not much.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Pythonbreeder99
As far as I know they haven't been bred in captivity, the only ones I've seen are WC and CB and sometimes CB means captive bred and sometimes it means captive born, depends on who your talking to. And the problem with finding someone who has experience with them or similar species is that nobody has experience with them or similar species lol. Barely anybody keeps these guys!!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Pythonbreeder99
So it's a girl!! I think I'll call her Ariel as a permanent name, I am now searching for a male so if anyone knows anyone who knows someone who has a male tell them to tell them that I'll take it!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
IMAJACOBIAN
That's cool. So, did they determine sex by probing? I will keep an eye out for a male if I run into one.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
Pythonbreeder99
Yes the probing worked, there was clearly no pocket or place for hemipenes. I've just also fixed both emperor 400 filters, and repaired the slow leak in the tank. I then destroyed my room making space for this GIANT tank but it is halfway done! The rest will come next payday. I totally forgot how expensive aquariums are to set up!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Pythonbreeder99
Videos!

Heres a couple videos of her. One is in about 1cm of water just to show how she moves out of water, the second is her exploring the aquarium for the first time! It's still cold so she wont be staying overnight but I let her venture for about 20 minutes, she seemed to love it! Sorry their only cell videos and are short because I don't have a smart phone.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
IMAJACOBIAN
That's awesome. She's so much more agile in the water and in the shallow, doesn't look nearly as capable.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
Pythonbreeder99
Another awesome thing I'm leaning about these guys is that they eat every single day, about 10 fish a day! I've never seen a snake that eats everyday! Unfortunately that also means she poops everyday

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!