Calling all who live in Florida! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Leighanne
Exclamation Calling all who live in Florida!

I know this is the Gecko forum but once again the other Lizard Forum is about dead and I need quick answers. Heres the deal. I have that Anole who looks like death now and I am very sad for him. I finally thought of this and I finally realized I can't recreate Florida for him and have also come to realize Anoles shouldn't be in this trade. They just don't do well in captivity. I want to ship him to Florida and have him set free. I figure this is his only chance. I'll pay for shipping and nobody has to take care of him, just let him loose in a nice place with a lot of bugs. Does anybody want to help me?? I don't want him dying. He has little chance here and I know what your thinking. If hes this sick then why put him in the wild? If he dies he'll at least hopefully die somewhere nice and free. Its just something I want to do. If anybodys interested pm me with your address. Thank You.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Kristin,
Unless you are able to find someone in extreme South Florida, this is the wrong time of year to free an already compromised anole into the wild. His chances of survival are very small. The nights are already getting very cool.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
techgirl
If he is already dying, why set him free? So he can die quicker from the stress? The best thing to do if you can't take care of him is to either find someone who will take him or euthanize him. If he is truly dying then euthanizing him would be the best for him. It is one of the few things you can do for him if he is suffering that will put him at peace.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Leighanne
I can't. I just can't do it and I'm sorry. I've already thought about this and decided to be optimistic. Maybe he will find a good hiding spot and lots of bugs and he'll recover. We all know Reptiles are amazing and miracles can be pulled out of nowhere. I think of it kind of like us. We have no choice to go to Iraq. Kinda! Would you rather die in a cage or at home. I can tell he was wild caught because he has war wounds. If he dies hopefully it will be under a beauitiful Florida sunset. I know I sound like a tard but oh well.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
I'm in florida. If you ship him to me, I can take care of him to the best of my ability, and then turn him loose come spring. That's the best I can promise, since I would not put a dying animal out to be stressed even more. I can give him a nice home and sights of Florida.
Wolfy

Old 12-14-2006, 01:08 AM   #6
wdr12@earthlink.nt
How bad off is it? Sounds like it wouldn't even make the trip. I have literaly hundreds of anloes on my home and fence. He would be very happy here. I just dont think it will make the trip.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
Leighanne
He is extremley bony. He hasn't eaten in two months. He is a Trooper though. Picolo put up with a bath today very peacefully and he laped up water after a tank cleaning and a misting which is usually very wet. Pix sat and lapped it up and it made me sad. Then I went outside to try and find bugs for him which I didn't find and thought of him being in Florida where he came from. I have even syringe feed him and it hasn't helped. I can't mercy kill him. I can't euthanize him. I can't feed him off. I just can't. I find it to difficult to recreate Florida. Everybody else is great, hes just to fragile.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Have you tried looking online for things like flies and other small bugs? Anoles need lots of live food with minerals and calcium to do well in captivity. If you dont provide these they ususally get MBD, and die.

releasing an already dying animal into the wild is just begging for the animal to die even quicker, and more horribly. The stress alone from shipping would surely bring this animal to the brink of death by the sounds of your post.
Do you have a UVB bulb/Day basking lamp? he should be in a 10G Planted aquarium as well. Temp Gradient during the day should be 75-80 and Night temp gradient should be 65-75. having a planted tank helps keep humidity up and give them some fun stuff to hide in.
You should be trying grubs and crickets, spiders and moths dusting at every other feeding They like SMALL waxworms and small mealworms ( all food should be half the size of the Anoles head)

Old 12-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
Wolfy-hound
You go outside to look for bugs? Go GET bugs from your local petstore. Order them online. First, if you can't find bugs, that's cause its winter. Second when and if you DO find bugs that are likely to be contaminated with insecticides, herbacides and god knows what else.
There are numerous places that for a SMALL amount of money(far less than shipping him) will ship you a huge thing of teeny crickets.
Wolfy

Old 12-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
Leighanne
I know. I get bugs from the Pet Store. Exp: Crickets, MealWorms, WaxWorms. I get 500 shipped here from TopHat Crickets for $15.00 even. Where would I find flying bugs on the internet? They don't sell any flying bugs. Outside bugs are just treats for him in Summer. Exp: Silkworms and Moths.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!