A nice surprise & a genetics question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-17-2005, 12:59 AM   #1
bro paul
A nice surprise & a genetics question

OK, I finally had two nice surprises hatch out of my Tremper "hybino" project last night. I bred a Jungle Albino male to our nicest SHTC female to hopefully produce some nice looking SHTC het albinos (also het for jungle)...ultimately hoping to bring some more orange into our Tremper hatchlings. Well, you see the results below...two nice looking jungles 100% het for albino! By the looks of these newborns I think they'll develop some great colors as they grow But here's my genetics question for some of you out there who have been working with the sometimes "mystic" jungle gene for a while. I am almost certain that the female was not carrying any type of jungle gene. I own her mother and father and they are normal...I have pictures of all four "grandparents" and they are normal. I've never seen anything even close to jungle hatch out of the mother's bloodline. So, either there was a hidden jungle gene somewhere...or there is a very strong jungle gene working here. Have any of you ever experienced such a thing? Is there even a possibility of a dominant or co-dom jungle gene?

Here's my new little ones:

And here's the dad: (he usually produces carrothead/carrotail babies )

and finally the mom:

Old 05-17-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
DiabloBoa
i have a stripe that bred to a jungle to produce more stripes 1 having a clean stripe like mom the others not as clean but still stripey(i think a my stripe may be an expression of an extreme jungle) i think jungle acts like a line bred trait in that it will expess itself in the offspring when bred to non jungles too varying degrees but im new to breeding things out and knowing exactly what im seeing.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:21 AM   #3
DiabloBoa
any earlier pics of the mom when her bands were easier to see? she doesnt look banded

Old 05-17-2005, 03:32 AM   #4
DiabloBoa
nice project by the way

Old 05-17-2005, 04:31 AM   #5
SableLynx
Sweet babies. No idea on genetics

Old 05-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
No1snotsucker
I bred a jungle tremper to a normal tremper and so far have 12 eggs and 6 have hatched. All of the hatchlings are banded, no abberiances at all. I recieved my blood line from tremper. RT told me his jungles are polymophic but act simple receisseive. (you got me)

Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
No1snotsucker
But I don't take what he said to heart because he also told me that the carrot head gene is also simple receissive. However everyone of my hatchlings are carrot head to varying degrees with only one carrot head parent?

Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
bro paul
Yeah, I'm not sure about the carrothead trait. That would seem to be more of a line bred trait, IMO. But jungle has me totally confused. I talked with Robin S. once about the jungle gene and after talking to her I realized there is probably a lot going on that we're unaware of...maybe because we've moved so fast with breeding projects...or maybe some that know aren't sharing!?

But, now here's another slight "oddity". This girl just hatched out from a Tremper jungle x Tremper jungle breeding. She does have the "jungle" tail, but I'd consider her banded for the most part. Also, the parents have been paired together for two season and I've never had a banded looking baby hatch from them? She is "mohawks" sibling (from a prior thread)

Finally, let me ask ya'll this. What constitutes a "jungle"? I realize there are probably a lot of different opinions on this...but is one broken band considered jungle...or would you consider a banded girl with a jungle tail (like the one above) to be jungle? Thanks for any input...

Old 05-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
DiabloBoa
ya hes advertised things weird like "het for jungle" and what not. ive started a thread about his statement on giants temp that may be crap

Old 05-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
DiabloBoa
after a phone call to Chad elmore the poss. that jungles came from the breeding of 2 diff. localities causing a confusion of the body pattern to come up. i dont know.

as far as Pauls "slight oddity" wouldnt you get examples of jungles and banded animals from co/inc dom genes?

and wouldnt you get animals showing a range from line breeding?

no1notsuckers post just throws me all off im pretty sure all of Chads jungles offspring came out with varying levels of jungle with no perfect bands being hatched.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!