Killing the messengers.... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
Southern Wolf
So how are you gonna deal with the folks that are just stuck on stoopid? (borderline trollish behavior)

It will be those folks that end up getting your regulars that have something to contribute to the site banned.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
So how are you gonna deal with the folks that are just stuck on stoopid? (borderline trollish behavior)

It will be those folks that end up getting your regulars that have something to contribute to the site banned.
In cases of two parties going at each other and resorting to personal attacks in the process, unless it is EXTREMELY obvious who is the actual antagonist, BOTH will get infractions for the altercation. I am not going to waste much of my time trying to figure out "who started it" and really don't care if the OP wants to continue it. I don't expect my mods to expend much of their time neither in that pursuit. So if someone attacks YOU, it will be in your best interests to let them get the infraction rather than jumping into the cesspool along with the other guy. The trouble makers will be weeded out pretty quickly, so don't be part of the collateral damage.

The two new mods (John and April) have been doing a fine job patrolling the classifieds section, getting their feet wet modding here, so I am going to open up the rest of the site to them to help with the moderation tasks. That will give more eyes in the BOI to try to enforce the peace.

Just for the record, I don't want anyone coming to me whining about the mods not being fair because you got an infraction defending yourself, or the other guy was solely at fault. I DON'T CARE. I am NOT going to side with you over my mods. I am NOT going to waste my time second guessing their judgment. If you have any complaints, the mod who gave you the infraction is the one you need to convince about how they misunderstood you. The mod who gave the infraction is going to be the only one who can later rescind it, if they see that it is fitting and just.

Oh yeah, another point needs to be made. Racking up infractions will automatically generate a 3 day ban when you reach a certain level. If anyone decides to go around this by creating another registration, that earns that person a YEAR LONG ban. I used to have it a permanent ban, but perhaps that was too harsh for a mistake in judgment. In any event, any posts made under that "bypass" registration will be subject to being deleted, along with that account. Of course, someone who continually creates these bypass accounts has then surpassed the case of it being a simple lack of judgment and will then incur a PERMANENT ban accordingly.

I know this may sound harsh of me, but quite honestly, I don't care how many trouble makers need to be thrown out of here to make this site more respectable. We are still getting between 40 and 60 new registrations each and every day here, so the void made by anyone getting tossed out won't take long to fill.

I've been gradually turning up the heat to move this site more in line with how I want it to be. This is just another notch up the scale. I'm trying to give everyone enough time to adapt and modify their behavior as necessary to comply with my desire to make this site much more professional and actually useful to people.

So take heed, please. I really don't like to boot anyone out of here, but will not hesitate to do so, no matter who you are nor how long you have been here, paid member or paid advertiser or not. I cannot have people simply AFRAID to participate here and not provide information that will certainly be of value to someone.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
kerit
Is there a way that a post that has earned an infraction can be visibly marked by the mods as such? Or is that another unrealistic programming demand? Being able to plainly identify what has been deemed unacceptable within a thread would be a helpful learning tool, especially for those that may not read the rules thoroughly or keep up with these announcements. As it is, newer readers may see the bickering and antagonism and think it's acceptable behavior, not knowing it's racked up points for its poster.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerit View Post
Is there a way that a post that has earned an infraction can be visibly marked by the mods as such? Or is that another unrealistic programming demand? Being able to plainly identify what has been deemed unacceptable within a thread would be a helpful learning tool, especially for those that may not read the rules thoroughly or keep up with these announcements. As it is, newer readers may see the bickering and antagonism and think it's acceptable behavior, not knowing it's racked up points for its poster.
That may open up a whole other can of worms. Then you got someone whinning about so and so not getting an infraction. Some whine enough when they themselves get one... I can see this making the problem worse.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
hhmoore
When I first joined here, there was a place in profile you could click (kind of like the Trader Rating, I think) to view the person's infractions. From what I recall, it was an issue in a few ways - ranging from people asking why others didn't get the same infractions to a person's infractions being brought up in inappropriate areas for any number of reasons.

Given the reaction that many people have to just getting an infraction - can you imagine the response if the fact that they got it was viewable by everybody? IMO, the benefit of other people seeing that moderators are addressing the issues would be outweighed by the aggravation that it caused (and the fact that disciplinary action taken against a member really isn't any of anybody else's business)

Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
kerit
I'd imagine there'd be a burst of whining about it at first implementation, yeah, and probably from the same whiners already around. I do think the system now will prod BOI posters into line, just more gradually than having such immediate feedback would.

Mods continuing to hop into a thread and giving general "back on topic" warnings is probably just as effective.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
HecticLifeReptiles
I think this is a wonderful Idea! IMHO It's going to cause people to give information more readily instead of holding it back for fear of being fed to the wolves. I remember when I first came here to this site, it was to post a Bad Guy BOI and I felt like I had fed myself to the wolves, thankfully I had some pictues that I posted which cleared up my end, but It was still really rough at first. I really hope this will get the people it needs to and create an all around better experiance for those of us conducting business in a professional, calm manner. Thanks Webslave for the notch up ^_^ Really think it's going to help this site!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
rcarichter
This is a really great improvement. The first time I dared enter the BOI, it was to say I was very happy with a transaction. Apparently the seller was not too popular, because I was answered with accusations of posing as someone else, being an irresponsible pet owner for buying from him, being a friend of his w/ a secret IP address, even actually being him! Holy cow, I'm a middle aged mom who just bought a really nice gecko! And, BTW, I would still buy from this person. But, I learned my lesson about what I'm getting into by posting! I, for one, appreciate the change!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
crotalusadamanteus
Can we make no whining a rule too?

I pretty much just read anymore. Since most of the time people just make me want to say STFU or leave.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
GreenCountryHerp
I agree with the majority. Something needs to be done about this. People start to take jabs at each other and the thread becomes more about them than the original topic. Everyone needs to quit being so personal and enter their own opinion on the topic and move on. There are other places to take your attacks and the BOI should not be one of them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!