Pituophis newbie question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Tim Turner
Pituophis newbie question

I have become quite interested in Pitupophis spp, but am finding somewhat limited information available online (compared to Pantherophis or Lampropeltis spp). Are there significant differences in temperament between the various subspecies/localities/morphs of Pituophis spp (recognizing that snakes are individuals, so looking for general rules which would have exceptions)? In general, which types are larger and which are smaller as mature adults?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
acecurl16
Tim -- This might get you started but there is lots more to learn before taking on this group of amazing snakes! Good luck and glad to see you are doing your homework and research .. that is key before any purchase.

http://www.kingsnake.com/pituophis/species.html

Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
Tim Turner
Thank you for the link, Alan. I'll go over it thoroughly. While a Gopher/Pine/Bull Snake would be my first snake of my own, my daughter has a Corn Snake, and I helped her with months of research and setting up its habitat before purchase (checking temps and humidity over time to be certain all was ready). In regularly handling and feeding her snake, I have gotten the urge to have one of my own, and Pituophis seem quite attractive to me. Probably looking at purchasing a hatchling which is being conceived now once they are old enough for sale (i.e. regularly feeding on frozen/thawed mice of appropriate size, so sometime in late summer/fall?) so I have some time for research and preparation.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
acecurl16
Sounds good ... there are still some 2015 out there depending on what direction you decide to go in ... unless you have already located a breeder your working with. Personally .. I have SD Gophers and Sonoran Gophers ... love both!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
Tim Turner
No, I have not yet settled on a breeder; I want to take some more time for research. I am enjoying the photos posted to the Facebook Pituophis Enthusiasts group. Off hand, if I had to choose now, it would probably be a San Diego gopher snake, but there are gorgeous Sonorans, Pines, Bulls ...

What differences have you noticed between your SD and Sonoran Gophers?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
acecurl16
They are both great snakes ... the SD seem a little more high-strung and likely to "buzz" as babies and little more flighty .. my sonorans are all pretty easy to deal with ... but can't go wrong with either ... both eat well and are easy to care for.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Tim Turner
I have read and digested the info at the kingsnake.com link you were kind enough to provide, Alan, and I am leaning toward a gopher snake, especially the two types you seem to prefer, Sonoran (Pituophis catenifer affinis) and San Diego (P.c. annectens). It is too bad the link does not have information on the Bullsnake (P.c. sayi) page (am I correct in thinking that sayi is generally larger than the other subspecies of P. catenifer, or at least those with ancestry from Texas and Oklahoma are larger than those from further north?).

In looking at photos online, I find some of the amelanistic gopher snakes quite attractive. Are there any reputable breeders you would suggest I look at/contact to see what may be available this year?

Old 03-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
acecurl16
All my stock comes from either Jason Mason or John Cherry of Cherryville .. I know Jason has some of both from 2015. John Cherry has bullsnakes too ... he and Jason are both great guys, highly knowledgeable, professional,and have top-quality critters at very reasonable prices, Some of my favorites are my hybino sonorans!

Good luck

Old 03-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
acecurl16
Sorry ... mt fingers are faster than my brain tonight ... that should have been Jason Nelson ... various gophers and bulls .. as does John as well.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:32 AM   #10
toddnbecka
I've heard from a couple Pit people that the morphs are generally more mellow than the normal bull or gopher snakes. I recently picked up a baby fire bull at a reptile show. I had looked into their care requirements previously, but not the specifics among the different species or morphs until I brought mine home. I have to say, he's a great little snake for handling, and has an awesome feeding response, but not aggressive or defensive at all as far as I've seen. I did see about 2 seconds of tail buzzing one time after I uncovered him, but that stopped even before I picked him up. I've seen more reaction from baby corn or king snakes, and they typically have less of a reputation than bulls IME.
Bull snakes do tend to grow a little larger than gophers, and females will be larger than males. Not a huge difference, most likely less than 1' either way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!