PayPal fees - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #21
Black Adder
I think it is relatively easy and pretty straightforward to work this out but obviously some sellers just do not think ahead!

FOR EXAMPLE

If mr x really wants $240 for his animal, all he has to do is advertise it at $250, If I decide to buy at that price, everybody is happy, I do not know and could not care less he has factored in a couple dollars to cover the fees, seller is getting his money, PayPal are getting their fees and I am getting my animal, deal all round.

If however mr x wants $240, lists it at $240, I decide to buy and THEN he says " btw you have to send as a gift or pay the fees"
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

In that scenario, PayPal loses their fees, I as the buyer get annoyed because the seller has not thought this through and is now asking me to shortchange PayPal AND/OR lose any chance of coverage through the PayPal system.

VERY SIMPLE SELLERS, JUST TAKE A MINUTE OR TWO TO THINK IT THROUGH FIRST RATHER THAN LOSE A SALE OVER A SIMPLE MATTER AND ALIENATE YOUR POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS

Nuff said on this matter I think.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #22
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post
gets his 3% from the buyer (which, btw, I agree is wrong...cost of doing business). As a non-profit, we get a lower rate from PayPal, but many people choose to make donations as sending money to family and friends. If they ask which, we make clear that we cannot ask them to that, as it is a violation of the PayPal TOS. Rehoming fees must be sent as goods and services.
For some reason (probably my fat fingers) part of my response was deleted. If the animal isd $500, price him at $515 or $500 with a $15 handling fee

(which is legal per PayPal TOS. The seller .... (read above)

Old 04-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #23
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post
or $500 with a $15 handling fee

(which is legal per PayPal TOS. The seller .... (read above)
It is *acceptable* under PayPal's TOS, provided that the handling fee is charged regardless of payment method. In other words, one cannot charge a handling fee for paypal purchases if it isn't charged for cash(, check, or money order) purchases.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #24
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
It is *acceptable* under PayPal's TOS, provided that the handling fee is charged regardless of payment method. In other words, one cannot charge a handling fee for paypal purchases if it isn't charged for cash(, check, or money order) purchases.
Agree.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #25
Aercadia
I have run into 2 instances of this... it's really irritating and raises all kinds of red flags as a buyer.

First instance was for a snake being advertized on a list, I contacted the seller - oh it's actually his friend's animal, he's advertizing for him. No problem, I go to make the purchase... and get the "can you send it as a paypal friends and family" because his buddy set the price and "didn't know about the fees"... NO. I ended up offering to pay the difference and sent it as a normal payment... so *I* ended up paying the fees, because I really wanted the animal.

Second instance, my husband and I were repeat customers and so qualified for an automatic discount... last minute, "can you send it as a paypal friends and family because I it's already a discounted animal and I'm giving you another discount on top, I can't take the hit"... NO. We ended up paying the fees again, but we have decided we cannot do business that way, which is a real shame, and we will probably never do repeat business with that seller again. Makes me sad because I really like some of their animals and would love to bring a few more home in the future... but we will not deal with people who ask for that payment option anymore moving forward. It's just too easy to get scammed.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #26
Black Adder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aercadia View Post
I have run into 2 instances of this... it's really irritating and raises all kinds of red flags as a buyer.

First instance was for a snake being advertized on a list, I contacted the seller - oh it's actually his friend's animal, he's advertizing for him. No problem, I go to make the purchase... and get the "can you send it as a paypal friends and family" because his buddy set the price and "didn't know about the fees"... NO. I ended up offering to pay the difference and sent it as a normal payment... so *I* ended up paying the fees, because I really wanted the animal.

Second instance, my husband and I were repeat customers and so qualified for an automatic discount... last minute, "can you send it as a paypal friends and family because I it's already a discounted animal and I'm giving you another discount on top, I can't take the hit"... NO. We ended up paying the fees again, but we have decided we cannot do business that way, which is a real shame, and we will probably never do repeat business with that seller again. Makes me sad because I really like some of their animals and would love to bring a few more home in the future... but we will not deal with people who ask for that payment option anymore moving forward. It's just too easy to get scammed.

Not only is it irritating as you state but it IS clearly a violation of PayPal TOS.
I turned down a deal that could have probably netted me a huge return in pure monetary terms simply because I refused to pay the fees on principle, I could have easily stumped up the $75 extra but refused to do so. Yes I missed the deal but the more people refuse to bow to these kind of demands the better off as a community we will be.

After all PayPal provides us with an excellent service overall and they need to get paid for their service or we will all be back to sending that MO through snail mail again!

Old 04-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post

After all PayPal provides us with an excellent service overall and they need to get paid for their service or we will all be back to sending that MO through snail mail again!
Ah, truer words were never spoken, lol! PayPal refunded my entire purchase price, including shipping, on a very sick snake I bought last fall. Item was "not as described", and they promptly took care of it for me.

The fees they collect allow them to continue providing excellent service, and I don't understand why sellers complain about a few bucks, while essentially expecting PayPal employees to work for free!

Kathy

Old 04-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #28
hhmoore
Interesting...when I was in that position several years ago, I was told that "item not as described" was limited to eBay purchases...and that their buyer protection did not cover animals.
PayPal is not really a great service for sellers, as the protections have become heavily biased towards buyers; but it is the most widely used means of online payment & allows low volume sellers to receive credit card payments at a competitive rate.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #29
Black Adder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Interesting...when I was in that position several years ago, I was told that "item not as described" was limited to eBay purchases...and that their buyer protection did not cover animals.
PayPal is not really a great service for sellers, as the protections have become heavily biased towards buyers; but it is the most widely used means of online payment & allows low volume sellers to receive credit card payments at a competitive rate.
I think that was the situation for quite some time but it seems that since eBay and PayPal went through their "divorce" , PayPal has become a little more seller orientated and does not now exclude live animals per se in their protection services.
Still have to pay as goods and services AND in one complete sum to qualify but I think they have made some small steps in the right direction over the last year or so.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #30
hhmoore
I no longer sell, so I may have missed changes that came over the last year. They have been making changes for a few years...but they're primarily of benefit to buyers, and create additional risk for sellers. That said, I have never wavered in my stance on gift payments or the request that buyers pay fees.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!