Mistake ? Help Please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
Roman24
Mistake ? Help Please

Hi guy's
Just picked up a 6-7 month old baby ornate uromastyx yesterday
she is wild as can be but I guess its normal for a new environment
I was hoping that some day soon I would be able to hold her etc.
I'm looking for (some day), a tame friendly Lizard
Have I made a mistake
Or should I be patient and work extra hard to get used to me
If a mistake, should I consider a Bearded Dragon as a more friendly hand-able Lizard ?
Or another type if you could suggest
Appreciate your help in advance

Roman

Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
DCA1
Congratulations Roman. At 6-7 months I would not overreact to "wild" behavior - they can calm down considerably with age and with occasional handling. Bearded dragons are generally among the most easy to handle species, but my understanding is that uromastyx are on the calmer side as well (I've never kept one but I've spent some time with them). Even with bearded dragons, you can end up with a wild or aggressive one. Patience is key and you will have to work at it no matter what type of lizard you choose. If you make sure you are providing a great environment that meets all the needs, and give the animal time to adjust to its new surroundings, then you will be in good shape. Also consider that your animal will be more energetic during the daytime and you can attempt the handling practice toward evening when they are more subdued and less likely to act out.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
Roman24
I'll try to grow some patience
Thank's

Old 07-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Uro_Nut220
I had that issue with my female. Try hand feeding their favorite foods. For instance my male goes nuts for bee pollen and my female really likes soft herbivore bites. It's all about building trust.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!