Anole questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Eleni123
Anole questions

I've been looking into getting anoles, and would appreciate some suggestions.

First of all, I've been deciding between a cuban knight anole and a group of 3 (1m/2f) green anoles. The terarrium in question is not purchased yet, but will likely be at least 2 feet tall, and at least 20 gallons. It will likely be a glass terrarium (not aquarium) that has doors to open from the front. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions about which anoles might be better, or if some differences in personality and behavior could be explained. I'm also curious how big of an enclosure would be need for 2 or 3 cuban knight anoles, just to keep in the back of my head, likely not for this setup.

Second, I was wondering what plants might be good to put in the enclosure. I have ficus and pothos plants in mind, but I was wondering if there may be some better options. Likewise, what types of branches would be best for the enclosure?

Now, as my 3rd and final question, I have read a lot of different suggestions for heating/basking temperatures and methods. My plan was to have a basking spot in an upper corner that is easy to get to by the branches. I'm unsure of the right temperature for it, though, I've heard 90, 120, 100, and all sorts of in between. I also plan on having a heat mat under part of the enclosures base, but I've only seen this suggested a couple times and am not sure if it is needed or wanted. I've also read that heat rocks are sometimes suggested, but I don't want to get one unless the given heat wouldn't be enough since I've also heard that it needs to be regulated and watched closely and I have school for 6-7 hours a day, leaving a gap in time to watch the rock's temp.

Those are my main questions, but if there is anytHong else you would like to make sure I know, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
LuckyStar
1) For a trio of green anoles i'd recommend something like an 18x18x18 enclosure. For a trio of knight anoles I don''t know an exact size but I used to have a forum friend who kept and successfully bred a pair in a 55 gallon screen reptarium. So Maybe a size up from that.

2) Pothos are a great plant for an anole viv since they are hardy and grow fast. Plus anoles are light enough that they can climb on them without damaging them. I assume you mean Ficus benjamina when you say ficus, which is another great plant. Other plants I'd recommend would be snake plants and draceane for something to climb on, and philodendron and African violets for decoration and color.

3) Anoles are basking lizards, so they'd prefer a basking light with UVB as a source of heat rather than an under tank heater. Hot rocks aren't as bad as they used to be but again not good for anoles. The basking temp should be around 95 degrees.

Hope this helped, feel free to ask anymore questions!

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #3
akane
I have a trio of green in a 29gallon aquarium tank. They have a uv daylight and a black heat lamp light on 24/7. It is aimed on a piece of thick driftwood angling up that they can sprawl across. I have a hardy ivy in one corner and I am getting cutting of a pothos and dividing it because the pothos I bought would take up the whole tank if I put the main plant in there.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
David Reid
Get a 55 gallon and get the Knight Anoles. Cool animals, can be a bit bitey at first, but are worth the extra effort. Hollow bark log, a real plant of some sort, big water dish and plenty of things to climb on. I loved mine....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!