About the server move - 04-19-2017 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
WebSlave
Thumbs down About the server move - 04-19-2017

Well, that didn't go well at all.

Apparently there is some sort of connectivity issue between the new data center and the data center my server is currently located within. File transfer speed is abysmally slow. I mean, like, nearly dial-up speed slow. The packaged account file that contains my second largest site is STILL slowly crawling to the destination. It was only at 27% last night, and still not finished at the moment. The file for THIS site is about four times larger. So do the math.

So with this site having been down for over 35 hours, and no end in sight, I decided to re-open it, and then delay restarting the process of transferring FaunaClassifieds.com to the new server until the server tech guys can figure out what the problem is with the file transfer speeds. As it was looking to me, it was going to take probably an entire week just to transfer this site, which wouldn't even begin until the other site being transferred right now has completed. So this site was down for 35 hours for basically nothing.

Oh yeah, so far every site that has been transferred to their server is now failing when I try to send outgoing emails from them. THAT certainly needs to be fixed as well.

So, we are back. For a while anyway. They are either going to get the problems ironed out, or else I have to can the entire idea of the server move to that particular host. So much for picking a company just chock full of nothing but good reviews online.

As I mentioned, this sort of operation is always a real fun time.......

Old 04-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
DLenaRuth999s
Stay strong Webslave! We're with you on this.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Hopefully they figure out the issues so the move can happen

Old 04-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So this site was down for 35 hours for basically nothing.

That sounds very aggravating. Hopefully, this company will get the lead out and get the move done soon.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
JumpSpidersInc
UGH.

Server moves are a nightmare. Went thru that once....

I sincerely hope things work out, WebSlave. *fingers crossed*

Old 04-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
WebSlave
BTW, the server techs are going to be trying some things, so with FaunaAds and FaunaTopSites on that new server, this is likely to make the road a little bumpy here loading pages.

I hope I have a large enough supply of Excedrin.... Maybe I need to see if I can buy a case of it off of Ebay.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
DLenaRuth999s
Make sure you buy the Excederine Tension. It doesn't have aspirin. We don't want you to bleed out!

Old 04-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Ugh, and here I was all happy to see you back this morning. Sorry it didn't go well. Technology makes our lives SO much easier - no?

Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
WebSlave
I use Excedrin Migraine. Only one I've tried that actually helps me with headaches.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
WebSlave
Well, I recently got a message from the server guys saying that they think they have figured out the problem. But they are still doing some testing. Yeah, they used the word in a singular manner, not plural. There are PROBLEMS, guys.

Even if I become convinced that the problems are fixed, I'm not likely to shut this site down and attempt the migration again until the weekend.

So we will see....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!