Pet store crested gecko - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 12:19 AM   #1
Baddog1779
Pet store crested gecko

Before I start off, I know it's a pet store and not exactly a reputable breeder. I know I took what some would call a "risk".

25 days ago I purchased a crested gecko from a pet store. It was a small gecko with a scab on its back just above the tail, and a decent amount of feces stuck to its behind. I bought this gecko because I figured it had a better chance with me than at the store with 7 or 8 larger geckos in the same tank.

I brought it home, did several warm soaks to loosen up the week old waste and all was well. Shed went well, scab was gone, feeding great on Repashy and crickets as treats, pooping normally, and gaining weight.

3 days ago it stopped eating and even shaking its head at food. I figured it was about to shed due to it becoming slightly darker. Today it's dead. I'm not worried about refunds or calling out the store. I want to know what I missed. Can someone with more experience please give me insight to this? I've never had reptiles just flat out die. Last time I checked the weight was consistent at 2.3g and no signs of malnourishment. I've never heard of anything dying after only 3 days of not eating.

Thank you.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
specialname
What is your set up like?

Old 07-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Baddog1779
This cage

Halogen Day and night bulb to keep temps around 75-80F, I was using larger wood mulch bedding. Misting 2 or 3 times a day. Hanging and standing fake plants.

My first thoughts were maybe mouth rot?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
specialname
They need no heat. They like cooler, no lower than 65. Fed every other day, food thick like a smoothie, yet slides off. Day humidity at 50% to 60%, night time up to about 90%.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
specialname
Paper towels as bedding, safer for them. Did you dust crickets with calcium. Repashy has lower amounts of calcium.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Baddog1779
Okay so heat wasn't good, humidity was good, food was good, crickets were gut loaded with flukers cricket quencher calcium fortified. I tried calcium dust several times but absolutely no interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
specialname
Feed carrots, potatoes, greens to the crickets. I keep a bowl with a coffee filter in it to keep crickets from drowning.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
specialname
Other than that, sad to hear. A vet exam or necropsy could only explain.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
Baddog1779
Yeah I wanted to take it to my local exotics vet to get a clue but that would've voided my refund with the store. Thanks for the info though about heating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
specialname
You're Welcome, could be MBD, or just issues before coming home with you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!