Gargoyle Gecko Enclosure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
AZUnicorn
Gargoyle Gecko Enclosure

Found out my boyfriend is getting me a gargoyle for my birthday! I've read that people keep them in 12x12x12 exoterra enclosures or 18x18x18. Is a 12x12x18 ok then? I know he'll prefer the height more than any ground space. I can always get an 18x18x24 but I'm a little worried about him falling.

I'm shooting for an adult (or nearly there) male but in the event I get a baby should I divide the cage temporarily so he can find his food?

Thanks guys!

Old 09-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
MomofDnNnD
I kept my baby in a critter keeper for a while, then moved her up to a 12x12x18. When I moved her up, I made sure she had plenty of platforms, swimming noodles and foliage to clutter up the cage and give her security. Plus she had multiple feeding spots.

My adult was in an 18x18x24.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
AZUnicorn
So i could get is a 12x12x18 adequate for his entire life? If not i'll just get an 18x18x24 and put a divider in temporarily. I want my lil guy to have plenty of space but also don't want him struggling to find food. I plan on having plenty of clutter and hides as well. I know they can be shy and need to feel secure.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
MomofDnNnD
12x12x18 is too small for an adult. smallest size for an adult is 18x18x18. If it's a baby to a juvenile, you may find it is not eating if the tank is too big. Partitioning the tank may be a way to go. I kept my eye on craigslist and facebook yard sales pages and ended up getting 2 different size tanks for really good low prices.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
AZUnicorn
Ok thanks. I don't really want to have to buy 2 different enclosures so i'll probably get the 18x18x24 exoterra. I'm going to clutter up the tank a lot but do I need to be worried about him falling? Sorry I'm super anal about caring for my pets.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
MomofDnNnD
I've never had one fall.maybe someone with more experience will chime in. I do think adults are easier to start with.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
elena
These are arboreal animals, falling is a non-issue. I disagree with Martine, I believe that 12x12x18 is fine for a single adult. Should go larger if you get a pair or trio. Finding the food is an important issue and if you buy a larger cage, you should partition it. Partitioning cages on a temporary basis is challenging, I usually just buy a baby and adult cage.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
AZUnicorn
I mean like I said I will ideally get an adult. This is my first gecko, I've had other lizards but it's been a long time. I want everything to go well so an adult would be best for me. I'm just nervous about him not being able to find food, I've read other people having trouble in bigger cages and I don't want to essentially waste food with multiple feeding spots.

Different question. Can I feed him fresh fruit? Obviously not all the time but as a very occasional treat? I was wondering if they liked or could eat like mashed banana etc.

I know it's good to supplement their diet with dusted crickets, dubia nymphs and someone said phoenix worms as well? Then another person said not to feed insects because it will give my gecko parasites? I'm sorry this is 2 months out but I want everything to go as smooth as it possibly can.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
elena
Insects are good for them, but parasites are possible. Just try to get them from the best source. I have never tried to give a gecko mashed fruit, but they would probably eat it or at least lick it. Make sure you give as balanced a diet as possible, as just a little fruit is quite a lot for a tiny gecko.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
AZUnicorn
There are some local dubia breeders I can get nymphs from. I looked up the fruit thing, you have to be careful of the calciumhosphorous ratio so it doesn't leech calcium from your geckos bones. I was just going to do it as a very occasional treat (once a month/every two months tops). Thanks for the help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
enclosure, gargoyle gecko