Dragon with swollen toe - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
john.r1
Dragon with swollen toe

I noticed my dragon lifting his back leg off the floor , when I looked closer I noticed his toe had swollen up and looks sore , i would call it his thumb if that makes sense , pink or red in colour and his nail which is normaly clear has a slight black colour and the top of the nail looks like their is a bit of blood , he has been hovering his leg back left for a few days I only noticed today it had swelled Nearly double than normal. I don't no if he has done it in the viv or I have done it picking him up ? He still walks on it .

A friend told me to leave it for a couple of days and see if the swelling goes down if it doesn't give him some baytril , which I already have.

Has this happened to any body before ?

I have some medicinal honey manouka should I put some on the sore toe ?

Any advice would be good thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
angie.h
Raw honey is an excellent anti bacterial/ anti biotic, so it's great if you dilute it just a bit with warm water + apply. I've used it successfully on all minor cuts/ scrapes and even cleared a terrible eye infection that a hatchling came out of the incubator with after being scratched by other hatching babies. It was clear in 2 days after having been swollen nearly 3 - 4 times normal size. Make sure there are no insects left in the tank, they will be attracted to the honey and nibble on the toe, and of course you don't want him on a loose substrate like sand that would stick. I don't know if I would give an anti biotic like Baytril unless a vet thought it was really necessary. It doesn't sound too serious.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
john.r1
hi angie

i have diluted the honey in a bit of warm water and applied to sore big toe and will see if this helps , when i pick him up his leg shakes a bit he does not seem in too much pain but is not him self , i have put a picture up as well
thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!