Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #11
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Side question: are you warming them in hot water, microwaving them a little or are they simply taking them at room temps?
I thaw them in lukewarm water so they are at, or slightly above, room temp (But you have to realise that my room temps are pretty high - often above 80-oF).

(I don't have a microwave - did try it once, and made a HELL of a mass of a rat )

Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
Helenthereef
Quote:
Different question: It appears there is some kind of cloth towel in his cage, does that remain in there normally? Do you feed your snakes with the towel in there?

No, the towel was just in there to help with the shed. They live on newspaper, and I feed them in bare floor tubs.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #13
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
made a HELL of a mass of a rat )
Sooooo true. Basically boils their insides, usually blows out their stomach and makes their tails crackle, pop and curl.

You only need to do that once or twice before you realize, "Dang, that wasn't a good idea".

Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
Robert Walker
Quote:
No, the towel was just in there to help with the shed. They live on newspaper, and I feed them in bare floor tubs.
Okay, just thought I would ask. I had a Burmese python m-a-n-y moons ago ingest a beach towel from it's cage that got rabbit scent on it.

I know, I know... a learning curve back in the day.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
At this point I'd cross my fingers and try the Baytril. If you can get Fortaz/Ceftazidime, that antibiotic in combo with Baytril is very effective on bacterial RI's, if that's what he's got going on.
Melinda, any advice on dosage? he weighs about 3 Kg, and chances are I'd have to give it orally. Thanks

Old 11-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #16
Helenthereef
Quote:
Okay, just thought I would ask. I had a Burmese python m-a-n-y moons ago ingest a beach towel from it's cage that got rabbit scent on it.

I know, I know... a learning curve back in the day.

I hope this will turn out to be a future funny story too....

Old 11-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #17
bcr229
Quote:
Melinda, any advice on dosage? he weighs about 3 Kg, and chances are I'd have to give it orally. Thanks
Unfortunately no as I've always injected it and the vet made up the syringes for me. It does have to be kept frozen until administered.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #18
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Unfortunately no as I've always injected it and the vet made up the syringes for me. It does have to be kept frozen until administered.
OK, thanks. I have used Baytril before as a precaution when they had some regurge problems during a heatwave, and I had to crush up tablets and pipette a solution down their throats (they are very used to being handled, and relatively placid, but it was still a saga...).

Old 11-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #19
AbsoluteApril
the strand of mucus would make me suspect an RI which I just find slightly odd since I know they are native there so your temps should be fine but perhaps he has an underlying infection of some sort and it just manifested this way?

Old 11-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
Helenthereef
He's been resting quietly now for 2 days since the gaping and hissing, so this morning I took him out and made him move around, and he seems fine - except for limited vision because his eyes are still foggy. I opened his mouth and had a quick look inside and while his glottis wasn't visibly open, there was no more mucous or any sign of bubbles etc. He's obviously breathing because, you know, not dead

I'm keeping him in isolation and today will speak to the vet, and see if I can get some antibiotics on hand in case he starts exhibiting symptoms again. However, pushing a pipette of antibiotics down his throat at this point seems like an additional stress I'd like to avoid.

Has anyone ever tried, or even heard of, fogging with disinfectant or steaming with Vapour Rub/ Eucalyptus? I swear there are advocates of this out there on the interwebs, but I don't want to experiment blindly....

I might try feeding him a very small meal (so as not to block his mouth for very long) in a day or so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!