I be seein spots - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
GeckoStud
I be seein spots

I was just at a small local reptile show recently and i saw quite an interesting little gecko. It was six dollars and simply labled White Spotted gecko. I really wanted to get one but i refrained because i knew that i had little knowledge of what they needed and other things. I was just curious if any of you guys have ever kept these little critters and could give some pointers, so that the next show i go to if i run into one i can take it home with a feeling of knowing what i am doing.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Boidaddic
What part of the US are you in? cause i had one at the arlington reptile expo, but anyways i basically keep mine like a tokay gecko, high humidity (about 75% maybe a little higher) and about 86-88 degrees on the warm side and he's in an enclosure about the size of a 15 gallon.
Regards,
Eric Weintraub

Old 01-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
GeckoStud
On the east coast in pennyslvania, but thanks for the help.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
Dan Lubinsky
That's where all those fancy species and subspecies names come in. With leopard geckos it's usually not a problem but there are often the same common name pegged onto different animals (and plants). I found this out back in the 70s when collecting rare tropical fruit trees - two totally different species of tree can share the same common name, for example "star apple" or "star fruit". That's in the same locality, it gets worse as you travel. One is a round purple fruit (Chrysophyllum cainito) that displays a white star when cut in half and one (Averrhoa carambola) is orange and five sided that is star shaped in cross section. Others have seven or eight common names. Sorry for rambling but my old brain couldn't come up with a reptile example but there are many out there. Next time, the species name of a less common animal would enable you to find what you're seeking with ease.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
If this is what you found here is the care sheet and info:
http://www.giveusahome.co.uk/allpets...ottedgecko.htm

Old 01-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
GeckoStud
Yup thats the one, like i said i couldn't find much info becasue i didn't know its scientific name, but thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!