line bred,mack,super mack snows? help me here - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
The NY Gecko
line bred,mack,super mack snows? help me here

what is the difference between the three of these? im totally lost

Old 01-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
shrap
With line bred snows there are no hets or super forms. You either get lucky and have a truly white one or you dont. There is not a genetic guarantee. You can breed two line bred Snows and still not get perfect black and white Snows.

Mack Snows and Super Macks are genetically proven. The Mack Snow is just the Het for a Super Mack.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NY Gecko
what is the difference between the three of these? im totally lost
I'm no expert on Mack snows, I don't work with them, probably never will as they don't do much for me, but I'll take a stab at explaining.

Line bred snows refer to the "snow" looking geckos that were produced prior to the discovery of the Co-dominate trait in Mack snows. Several breeders were working with line bred snows with varied results, most were poor examples and the really nice examples, even when bred together didn't produce similar results very often. Most likely due to the fact that not enough generations were worked with to eliminate the yellow coloring.

The Mack snow is a co-dominate trait, much like pastels in Ball pythons. Simply put if you breed a co-dom mack snow to a normal you have around a 50% chance of each offspring being a co-dom snow and exhibiting the physical trait. Breed 2 co-dom snows together and you get a chance, not sure on the percentage, of producing a Super form of the trait, which in this case is a white leo with uniform pattern of black dots and all black eyes. Theoretically if you breed a Super mack to a normal, you should get all co-dom Mack snow offspring.

Anyone else with more knowledge about the snows please jump in and fill in any gaps to my explanation!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!