Have You guys Actually read this thing? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
FLAherper
Have You guys Actually read this thing?

http://kingsnake.com/us_final_python_rulemaking.pdf
Checkout the link to the final ruling, its huge btw Im through about half of it.

2 things standing out to me right now that you geniuses could clear up.
I live in Florida, and already have laws about these species. They say in the document they took wild caught snakes from the everglades and took them to more temeperate climates and they died.
Yet they still deserve a injurious? They went to South Carolina, Texas and others and ALL snakes died. Come on. Why is the federal goverment going to step in on this now.

ALso I know its only down to 4 species right now (which btw still sucks, I hope USARK is going to work, and congrats on getting the other species dropped but we shouldnt even be talking about a bill like this...and some of the other species I dont understand but to my 2nd point.

Of the nine large constrictor snakes assessed by Reed and Rodda (2009)
(Burmese python (which the authors refer to as Indian python), reticulated python,
Northern African python, Southern African python, boa constrictor, yellow anaconda,
DeSchauensee’s anaconda, green anaconda, and Beni anaconda), five were shown to pose
a high risk to the health of the ecosystem, including the Burmese python, Northern African python, Southern African python, yellow anaconda, and boa constrictor. The
remaining four large constrictors—the reticulated python, green anaconda, Beni
anaconda, and DeSchauensee’s anaconda—were shown to pose a medium risk.

This is pulled directly from the ruling and is saying BOA CONSTRICTORS are high threat, people the law being put into action is for high threat. If any species is on the chopping block I would guess its the boa constrictor.
So I ask is USARK positive weve stopped the attack on those 5 species? Even though the boa is listed as High damage. Because it is not a smart political move to remove part of group from a law, and fight that later on.
If you guys have to fight another battle like this with the burmese, african rock etc sales illegal. It WILL BE HARDER.
Im all for you guys, but the legislation counter isnt going up fast enough. And I havent been hearing alot. Thankyou.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
WebSlave
Absolutely!

There is just no way in hell that those species listed are a threat on the federal level. There are only a few spots within the entire USA that they could EVER possibly pose even a limited LOCAL threat because the environment over most of the USA is not conducive to them surviving a single Winter season, much less becoming established.

Since the scientists who have reviewed the facts HAVE to know this, then the decision has to be completely politically oriented with either money or political favors, or BOTH being the medium of exchange.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
FLAherper
Lol at least someone else has put the effort into reading this.
It so stupid because WE already have laws in place (Im in Fl) The People who have the freaking problem.....we dont need this at the federal level.
Im going to be intrested at others responses to this tommorow. USARK(cough cough)

And its not as big as people think either, I love how they say they have no idea of knowing the numbers and then give a solid estimate. Ive visted the everglades multiple times last summer and its DEF a prob. But dont tell me there is 10,000 snakes there.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Metachrosis
Slowly....... ever so slowly there comes an awakening

Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Double B Reptiles
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/keyword/burmese-python

Sad part is, you can fight ignorance with knowledge and fact, but when the media is the ignorance, ignorance spreads like a plague and drowns the knowledge. It is absolutely ridiculous. Can someone send me the link to the petition to sign?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Cat_72
Brendan - all you have to do is look at the top of the page here....Rich has conveniently put it up as a clickable link in a big red banner. It says, "Please sign the White House petition to overturn the python ban by clicking here!"

Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
Double B Reptiles
Ahhhh yes. Thank you Cathy! Now only to get rid of my blindness hahaha. Petition signed. I wish I had places to post the link. Hmmmm. Any ideas? we have a long way to go.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Cat_72
It's ok...it's late.

I suppose other than forums, the social networking sites are an option....I know people have been posting it on Craigslist....and of course email. From there, even printing it out and presenting it to local pet shops, vets, etc isn't a bad idea. I know that I am surprised that there aren't more signatures on it already...even just from this forum alone. Look how many members there are here, combine that with even a couple of other big forums like KS, and you'd think we would have it in the bag. I just don't know.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
HerpVenue
That is why we were fighting it on the scientific level.

Their results showed that OUR side was correct. But they turned it around and said the snakes they got were dumb and there are smarter snakes out there who can survive blah blah blah.

I am not a scientist. But I worked for A LOT of them in my military career.
If your experimental group dies and you needed them to survive in order to prove your point....... then your point becomes null and void. In other words you FAIL. In other words try a different angle because the one you are working on is not working too well.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #10
WebSlave
Pretty typical in some scientific circles. If the data disputes your pet theory (or the theory you were PAID to prove), discard that pesky data......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!