Silver-ish spots on BRBs back? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
kyle13404
Silver-ish spots on BRBs back?

I asked for help on a different forum and couldnt get any help. My baby male BRB that has some weird silverish spots on his back. He had mites not to long ago but they are finally gone. He has shed after this but the spots are still there. Someone said they could be mite poop? If someone can tell me how to upload pictures, I will upload a couple pictures of the spots.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Pasodama
Directions for posting photos:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=304671

Old 05-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
kyle13404
Here is a picture of the spot
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
kyle13404
Here is another picture
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
kyle13404
There are more than 1 of these spots too

Old 05-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
Pasodama
Do you use plastic bowls (dog/cat bowls), that the snake can go under, for water or as a hide?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
kyle13404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
Do you use plastic bowls (dog/cat bowls), that the snake can go under, for water or as a hide?
I have a water dish and I have a small plastic container that I made a humid hide out of. He had mites not too long ago but theyre finally gone. He shed last week too.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Pasodama
It's definitely not mite feces. Mite feces are tiny flecks upon a scale. Not loss of color of a scale.

As long as there is no fluid, and no blistering, what it looks like, to me, are rub marks. From either plastic sensitivity or rubbing in general.
A forced shed, that damaged some scales, is another possibility.
Loss of scales (from rub off or injury), where new ones came in and pigmentation is delayed, is another possibility.

If it is from rub, removing what its head/back rubs against, and the snake having a couple/few sheds, should make it go away.

If from a forced shed, or injury, it should go away after "two or three" good sheds.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
Snakesitter
It's color loss, Kyle. I've seen it before. It can hit a few random scales and spread no further (most common by far), or it can continue and affect the whole snake…though that is *exceedingly* rare with anything young. I find that if it is going to spread, that usually happens very quickly, within a few months. If it only hits a few scales and stops you have no worries; I’ve never seen a case spread once stopped. In those cases, it is more like a scar or a birthmark.

No one is quite sure what causes it. It could be a pathogen, an environmental factor, or genetic.

For disease, I had a fully color-faded animal tested once via biopsy and found no evidence of pathogens, but would like an independent confirmation. I've battled other breeders for years to have one of their faded animals tested, and no one wants to spend the cash (or, in many cases, admit they have any affected animals at all).

As of right now I lean towards a genetic susceptibility, which is triggered by later environmental factors. The full fades are most common with gravid females, which indicates that hormones may play a role. Toxins in the water, food, or air may also play a roll. As another poster surmised, specially in minor cases that affect only a few scales, it may also set off by physical damage, which heals *except* for the color.

I had several animals fade out a few years back, but with my collection now on purified water and a set feeder source have only had one since…and he was just rehomed.

FYI, you will see some folks look at your pictures and tell you have a goldmine calico in the making…don't believe then. Calico is different, and a true calico rarely happens.

The good news is that your snake is completely healthy, and the area is very unlikely to spread. Even if it does, he will live out a full and normal -- if slightly less colorful -- life. :-)

Old 05-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
kyle13404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
It's color loss, Kyle. I've seen it before. It can hit a few random scales and spread no further (most common by far), or it can continue and affect the whole snake…though that is *exceedingly* rare with anything young. I find that if it is going to spread, that usually happens very quickly, within a few months. If it only hits a few scales and stops you have no worries; I’ve never seen a case spread once stopped. In those cases, it is more like a scar or a birthmark.

No one is quite sure what causes it. It could be a pathogen, an environmental factor, or genetic.

For disease, I had a fully color-faded animal tested once via biopsy and found no evidence of pathogens, but would like an independent confirmation. I've battled other breeders for years to have one of their faded animals tested, and no one wants to spend the cash (or, in many cases, admit they have any affected animals at all).

As of right now I lean towards a genetic susceptibility, which is triggered by later environmental factors. The full fades are most common with gravid females, which indicates that hormones may play a role. Toxins in the water, food, or air may also play a roll. As another poster surmised, specially in minor cases that affect only a few scales, it may also set off by physical damage, which heals *except* for the color.

I had several animals fade out a few years back, but with my collection now on purified water and a set feeder source have only had one since…and he was just rehomed.

FYI, you will see some folks look at your pictures and tell you have a goldmine calico in the making…don't believe then. Calico is different, and a true calico rarely happens.

The good news is that your snake is completely healthy, and the area is very unlikely to spread. Even if it does, he will live out a full and normal -- if slightly less colorful -- life. :-)
Thank you! I was worried that it was serious. I am relieved now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!