Lab Equipment - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Lucille
Lab Equipment

After looking at all the amazing successes folks are having hatching out lil baby geckos I decided that I would see if I could hatch a few babies too on account of all the new geckos I have that can perhaps be bred one day.

I already had got shoeboxes for the babies to live in. I knew most people used incubators for their gecko eggs so I reckoned I needed on of those.

I looked around the internet, and some places that sell stuff like Petri dishes and so on, and saw all sorts of incubators, and I settled on a small, reliable laboratory incubator, a Lab-line.

What amazed me was the absolute plethora of sophisticated laboratory equipment available to private buyers. Someone could set up their own research laboratory with no problem, there were automatic stirrers and Erlenmayer flasks and all manner of sophisticated analytical equipment and supplies.

Where does all that stuff come from? There are apparently enough private buyers to support the sales of new and used lab equipment, I would think that because of the expense that mainly companies and medical/research institutions would purchase these items.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
Junkyard
I am a lab director myself, it really is amazing at all that is out there for the public. A lot of new offices that open purchase new equipment which is why their is such a large market for new technology in the labs. Some great products are from Germany.

In my lab we went with completely used equipment(save a load of money too), some being 20 years old and running like new. Along with all the companies building new stuff, there are also emerging many companies that specialize in refurbishing old equipment. I use one company based out of San Diego and one in Texas. These little companies are all over in many states and a lot of other countries. These little companies also play around with making their own line of products because they get into more offices than the large compaines do.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Lucille
Michael, I should have checked with you first, I did not realize I had such a resource available here!!!
In your opinion is a Lab-line a good choice? It was not extremely expensive but looked like it would do a good job and hold a selected temp well.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
nativecollector
What are the names of some of these companies that deal in used lab items?

Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
nativecollector
well check this out, I decided to do a quick search just to see what came back, here it is
http://www.labx.com/v2/newad.cfm?CatID=22

That link is to just the incubators alone, some starting at $1.00, WOW!

Old 12-01-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
Cat_72
LOL, I looked through some of those Patrick.....looks like it may be a good deal, but most of the cheap ones are over 400 pounds!! It'd cost a small fortune to ship it, I would think......

Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
nativecollector
well if I can buy one of them for a dollar, I will drive over to get it. LOL

Old 12-02-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
LOL, I looked through some of those Patrick.....looks like it may be a good deal, but most of the cheap ones are over 400 pounds!! It'd cost a small fortune to ship it, I would think......
Those must be some big momma incubators (for dinosaurs maybe?)
I got a compact model which looks like plenty of room, it even has one shelf, they let me know it was on the way, shipping was around twenty bucks but I told them it was OK by me for them to ship ground which takes a little longer but is cheaper.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:48 AM   #9
MGReptiles
Lucille you have a link to the bator you bought? Thanks

Old 12-03-2005, 03:50 AM   #10
Lucille
Here is the model I chose, as you can see, it is small but I think it will be plenty of room for my purposes:

Product Group:Incubators
Product Category:COMPACT LOW COST
Model Number: 150

•Aluminum chamber provides excellent temperature uniformity
•Choice of three chamber sizes
•Choose from metal or clear Plexiglas® door
•Small footprint saves valuable bench space
24 Month Warranty

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
•Corrosion-resistant aluminum chambers with 1" (2.5 cm) fiberglass insulation provide excellent temperature uniformity. (Model 150 does not include 1" insulation.)
•Plexiglas door option permits unobstructive viewing of samples and eliminates temperature changes from opening and closing the door.
•Rugged metal door with positive latch provides an excellent seal ensuring temperature stability and uniformity.

OPERATION
•Bimetallic thermostat controls heat uniformity in chamber, allowing adjustment of temperature of the unit to match thermometer setting.
•Red, spirit-filled thermometer contains no mercury and is accurate to NIST tolerances.
•Pilot light indicates when heaters are energized, allowing you to be confident that the unit is operating.
•Specially designed shielded heating elements eliminate safety hazards caused by spills.

APPLICATIONS
•Bacteriological cultures.
•Hematology studies.
•Chick embryo studies.

Desc Compact Low Cost Incubator
Amps 1.3
Chamber Dimensions D 12.65 (32.1)
Chamber Dimensions H 12.7 (32)
Chamber Dimensions W 13.4 (34.1)
Chamber Volume CF 1.32( 37)
Hertz 50/60
Operating Temp Range C Ambient +5° to 40°C