do you know why? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
puertorab
do you know why?

hey i wanted to know why is it that when i feed my bearded dragon big crickets or meal worms he begins to shake his muscles a lot. its like he begins to twitch his arms and legs very rapidly and uncontrolably. hes big enough to feed on these ietms and i know that for a fact but why does he do this? i waste more money feeding small crickets than big ones. last night i fed him wax and meal worms and he began to shake like he does when he eats large crickets. heres a pic of him with and a full grown bearded from Amari Reptiles. please if anyone knows why this occurs please let me know and what i can do to prevent it.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Bringerofdoom
how old is your beardie?
Do you dust your crickets or other insects?
Do you offer him any greens?
Do you use a uvb light, if so what brand and how old is it?

Old 03-20-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Bringerofdoom
You know i just realized something, you are THE SAME person who talks about taking your reptiles to vets. OBVIOUSLY you STILL are not doing IT. I have a good clue what is wrong with the beardie for sure, i just want to see what you answer. If you Don't want to answer, for the love of your beardie take it to a vet ASAP!

Old 03-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
puertorab
hey

hey the bearded is about 7 months old and about 12inches long. i dust all my food i give him and he takes greens aswell as bugs. i use a day and red light to heat them aswell as an undertank heater. this isnt the first time and he only does this when i give him large crickets. i just wanted to know what could cause this. im gonna get him a blood test 2moro or sopmeimte this week to see whats up. im just here to see what could cause this besides large food and calcium deficiency. hes the only dragon i have problems with and all the others are great. hes fat and healthy but has this one problem. i give him vitamins and electrod3ize which is made by exoterra. im just here to find out what im doing worng. and as to my previous posts here i have gotten some of my animals adopted out and now have a few left which im keeping. as i decrease my collection i increase my knowledge which is what i should have done before taking in most of my animals but what woudl u do, let an animal die or take him in and try your best to make it better. i come on here to get help with things that i cant explain nor understand isnt this what the forums are here for?? well anyway thanks fo your reply but if your gonna talk about my past i really dont care to hear it and dont need to hear it.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
Bringerofdoom
Well First off you are NOT using a UVB light!
This is majorly important to a beardie. This is why your dragon is about 6 inches smaller than usual and twitching. The uvb light helps them process the calcium and stimulates eating.

Your bearded dragon is more than likely showing signs of severe calcium defeciency, Other wise known as Metabolic Bone Disease. The Twitching of the legs is a major sign of this.

Like people have said before LEARN Some husbandry for christ's sake. Alot of people know that DAYLIGHT Dwelling Creatures need UVB light to make up for the sun.

IF you don't believe me fine, but goto www.beardeddragon.org and ask the same question you did here. Your going to get the same answer i gave you....

DO us all a favor and type in (insert animal name here) and either CARE or HUSBANDRY on YAHOO or GOOGLE. This information is all listed there....

Old 03-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
DAND
Better yet, why don't you increase your knowledge prior to accepting any other animals. This way you won't decrease the population any more than you already have.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #7
FreakOfNature66
ok ok

Im gonna be totally nice because I think peope can get a little uppity about this situation and I have read some of your other post. Im not impressed that you dont know what you got yourself into. I think that for the best of your animals that you should know more about and get knowledge about alot of animals before you actually get them. I know as a younger herper I spent and spend alot of time reading caresheets for snakes I dont have. Its never wasted time becasue I get asked questions all the time and its good to be able to be well konwledgeable. So please read as much as you can.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
puertorab
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakOfNature66
So please read as much as you can.
i understand you completely. i do read and have learn a lot. i was just curious as to what lead to this shaking. i follow all feeding and all necessary procedures. i give them all i am told to give them. its that this is very weird and i havent encountered it at all. i wanted to know if im the only one and how i can prevent this from happening. believe me when i tell you i know so many things that many people dont know. when ever someone needs help with a reptile they come to me. when ever i need help i go to this forum to ask for help. im like one of the few who admit when they need help. every herper i know believes i care properly for my animals and these people are breeders and have been in the game for a while. i really dont care what people here think of me but i know for a fact that i do my best. as for the dragon hes over it just a few twitches here and there. i know about calcium deficiency and how it can lead ot problems like this but i noticed that the shaking only occurs after a feeding. when ever i feed them large crickets he twitches so i dont feed him large crickets. this is the 3rd time and i didnt feed him the crickets just worms both wax and meal. i give him drgon dust made by T-REX and i give him ElectroD3ize by EXO-TERRA. i give him vegetables but he rarely eats it but he goes crazy for insects. if thats a bad thing what do i do about it. and as to the age of him i have no idea. i purchased him from reptibid and it was supposedly a female but turned out to be a male. his head is far bigger than a large cricket so im sure he can take them but i dont give it to him. i read as much as possible and i also ask questions to find out more about things, if thats a bad thing then why have these forums. thanks for all who have replied and if you have any tips besides the vet thing i really appreciate it. and my dragon will see the vet ASAP so no worries and thats my word.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
puertorab
by the way.....

by the way why do people talk to much crap. i understand that i have made a few mistakes but why go on and on, on the same thing. i ask one simple question and you guys go way back yrs before and bring up the past like its the present and just recently happened. im sure if i do some research i can come up with so much junk on you guys that it wont be funny. we all make mistakes and no ones perfect. so why try so hard to make someone prefect. i havent killed any animals and never will. i think thta to me animals come before anything even family. you guys might not think i care for my animals but i do. when this first happened i cried over the fone talking to the vet (may sounds sissy like, but who cares). so come one people and stop all the bull and leave the past in the past. people change as times change. ive been real nice about it but im really sick and tireed of all the S**T yall talk here. its so aggravating and yall continue to do it like lil kids. grow up and move on. ive changed and so should you guys. i dont ever talk bad about anyone on this forum so why do you guys do it. and as for learning about many animals i do. my family says i have no life because all i do is talk and read about reptiles and many other animals. so come on and stop with the constant insults cuz im really getting tired of it. if i want to continue reading it ill just read my previous posts cuz yall dont stop. thanks so much

Old 03-20-2005, 10:58 PM   #10
Bringerofdoom
first off this is not "YEARS", but MERELY months you are talking about.

Quote:
" we all make mistakes and no ones perfect. so why try so hard to make someone prefect. i havent killed any animals and never will."
Granted that no ones perfect, but UNLIKE repairing cars or other things, THIS IS REPTILE HUSBANDRY. This is not a little game that you can just pick up with absolutely no knowledge, but plan to learn about along the way. You at this moment are putting your animals through so much, from your post's.

First you did not know a bearded dragon needed uvb light, this is common knowledge to alot of herpers. EVEN my fiancee KNEW about this when she bought me a reptile and setup for a gift. She barely knows anything about reptiles at that.

The saddest part about all this is, is that time after time other people have told you, that you need to EXPAND your knowledge before you expand your collections.

You seem to have known that it had calcium defenciency, but you are failing to see you are lacking a special light to fix this........

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!