House Snake species? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
Ghoulsnake
House Snake species?

Hi, all

Last week I picked up a house snake from a nice lady who had him up on craigslist because she couldn't keep him anymore. I know the taxonomy of house snakes is confusing so I hope I could get some clarification as to what mine may be. The original owner doesn't remember what she bought him as, just referred to him as a "African Black House Snake" below are some pictures of the twitchy bugger. (sorry for the orientation)

I am thinking L. fuliginosis ?

Name:  IMG_8317.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  311.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8319.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  336.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8330.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  310.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8325.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  295.8 KB

Old 04-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
http://snakesarelong.blogspot.com/20...r-dummies.html

Good luck.

I'm not a house snake guy, but the hobby "species" designation you get will likely not match up with the official taxonomy, and neither of those will be valid for very long.

Probably you will never, without knowing the collection locations of the ancestors, be able to track down which species (plural) make up your snake. Unfortunately, a percentage of the non-locale animals in the hobby are eventually discovered to be crosses between species or subspecies. My understanding is that house snakes fall into that category. (See the link and the point that Boaedon fuliginosus (formerly Lamprophis fuliginosus) is at least 7 and possibly 10 species)

It is pretty, and I hope you enjoy keeping it!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Showbird72
Yes looks like a black boaedon fuli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Ghoulsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
http://snakesarelong.blogspot.com/20...r-dummies.html

Good luck.

I'm not a house snake guy, but the hobby "species" designation you get will likely not match up with the official taxonomy, and neither of those will be valid for very long.

Probably you will never, without knowing the collection locations of the ancestors, be able to track down which species (plural) make up your snake. Unfortunately, a percentage of the non-locale animals in the hobby are eventually discovered to be crosses between species or subspecies. My understanding is that house snakes fall into that category. (See the link and the point that Boaedon fuliginosus (formerly Lamprophis fuliginosus) is at least 7 and possibly 10 species)

It is pretty, and I hope you enjoy keeping it!
Thank you very much! I have seen that article before! I agree it's difficult to tell without knowing the lineage of the parents, and I will probably never know unless I can track down the breeder. Apparently the woman I got him from purchased him at the White Plains Reptile Expo last April. I'm probably gonna scrounge through the vendor list to see if I can find a match because I'm nosy.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #5
Karma Kritters
He looks very similar to my animals that were imported reportedly from Uganda.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!