Question about morphs. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 AM   #1
_Lucian_
Question about morphs.

Im still fairly new to reptile morphs, so theres a few things I get confused over. I understand the basics, but I thought of something that left me wondering...

Lets say you have a Blizzard that is Het for Patternless.. Its morph, and what it is Het for would be simple recessive.

However, this confuses me. How is it that you can even get this? Both traits are recessive, so what makes it a blizzard? Is blizzard simply a little more dominant than Patternless? Is it completely random as to which trait will be more dominant? And when using a punnet square, is there any way to figure out what the offspring will be since they are both recessive genes?

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #2
lilgreenbee
It's a blizzard because it has two copies, aka homozygous, for the gene for blizzard. It would be het patternless because it only has one copy of the gene for patternless. For a simple recessive morph, you need two copies of a gene to make it visual.

How to do a Punnett Square

Old 08-06-2016, 03:44 AM   #3
_Lucian_
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreenbee View Post
It's a blizzard because it has two copies, aka homozygous, for the gene for blizzard. It would be het patternless because it only has one copy of the gene for patternless. For a simple recessive morph, you need two copies of a gene to make it visual.

I know the basics as I said, but can a punnet square have more than 4 boxes? Apologies if that's explained in the link, I'm currently at work

Old 08-06-2016, 04:08 AM   #4
_Lucian_
Quote:

For example, could an outcome be MMmm if they had multiple hets

Old 08-06-2016, 04:22 AM   #5
_Lucian_
Quote:

A better example... My gecko, according to the breeder is Murphy's patternless, get for tremper. Both of those being recessive, would it be represented like mmt on the punnet square with an extra column?

Old 08-09-2016, 02:02 AM   #6
Dbz4246
I will try to answer your question the best I can, I will be using ball python morphs in my example.

Pied is recessive, so is albino. So if you breed the 2 together, you will have an entire clutch of non visuals. All of the clutch will be 100% double het Albino/Pied.

Breed those babies together, and eventually a Visual Albino Pied will happen

Now breed the Albino Pied to a Pied. Since both parents are pieds, all the offspring will be Pieds, and since one parent is also Albino but not the other, All offspring will also be 100% het albino. So the entire Clutch will be Pied 100% het Albino.

This example can be used with any simple recessive morph, from any species. And to answer your other question. No, one recessive is not more Dominant than the other. It all depends on what the parents were. Hope this helps

Old 08-09-2016, 02:12 AM   #7
_Lucian_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz4246 View Post
I will try to answer your question the best I can, I will be using ball python morphs in my example.

Pied is recessive, so is albino. So if you breed the 2 together, you will have an entire clutch of non visuals. All of the clutch will be 100% double het Albino/Pied.

Breed those babies together, and eventually a Visual Albino Pied will happen

Now breed the Albino Pied to a Pied. Since both parents are pieds, all the offspring will be Pieds, and since one parent is also Albino but not the other, All offspring will also be 100% het albino. So the entire Clutch will be Pied 100% het Albino.

This example can be used with any simple recessive morph, from any species. And to answer your other question. No, one recessive is not more Dominant than the other. It all depends on what the parents were. Hope this helps
That is actually the simplest, and best answer I've gotten. Thanks!. So Ill throw down another example. If I throw together a Tangerine, mixed with a MP that is het for Tangerine, Im gonna get 50% Normal het for both MP and Tangerine, and 50% Tangerine Het for MP?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Dbz4246
That is correct

Old 08-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #9
_Lucian_
Quote:
That is correct
Thank you. I need help on one though if you will. Lets say mom is Tremper het eclipse/blizzard and dad is MP het tremper... What would the outcome be? Thats a lot of genetics and it's real confusing. So an explanation on how to figure that one out would be great.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 AM   #10
_Lucian_
Quote:
That is correct
If I got it right, I think it would be 50% tremper, pos het mp, eclipse, blizzard, and 50% normal, pos het tremper, mp, eclipse, blizzard.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!