constipated boa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
breakdown
constipated boa

my female boa hasnt pooped since i got her a month ago shes had four feedings as of tonight and has pink fleshy material sticking out her vent but the reptile vet told me it wasnt a prolapse and prescribed some antibiotic cream for me to put on it. The swelling and redness is gone but it still has the pink stuff sticking out. I'm afraid she can't poo because of this should i stop feeding until i can get her back to the vet? also i can feel a hard lump just in front of her vent i think it is that dry urate stuff how concerned should i be?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
Griz
I had a very similiar incident with one of my boa's. She had not defecated in 7-8 weeks and had a considerable bulge towards her vent. My vet performed an enema which immediately removed a large calcium blockage she had. I then took her home and soaked her for hours in a warm bath for 3-4 days (not constant just an hour here and an hour there). By day 3-4 she finally fully defecated and all was well with the world. She had been regular ever since.

It's all about understanding your specific boa and what their defecation patterns are. With my girl, I know she needs to defecate before the next meal. Once I realized that, she's been like clockwork ever since. Feed's every 10 days and defecates every 10.

Bob

Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
breakdown
thanks for the advice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!