More legislation in PA - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
nicks075
This is frickin BS, what are they going to do come to your house to see if the animals are properly taken care of and if they don't think so they can take them?

25$ annual fee for keeping and 200$ for dealing? So if I breed and have several clutches do I have to pay 25$ for each animal in addition to 200$ every year if I want to sell them?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
gandabrenzo
I think the breeders permit would cover the hatchlings. However to get any permit someone would have to inspect the premises and pass you. And how trained are these people going to be as far as what secure is? A rack is secure but they may insist on aquariums with screen tops that "latch".
The really scary part is you need a permit in order to buy any exotic before you can purchase it. I can see alot of small businesses and shows shutting down because of this and again to get a permit in the first place you need an inspection, so your son wants a $5 anole, you have to pay $25 for that permit and wait for an inspection before you can run to the local pet shop to buy a now $30 anole.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
Lair of Dragons
Keep in mind...not just reptiles...all animals listed are everything but cats and dogs and what you can see in the wild....so Goldfish, Betta, salt water fish...so every fish you see in a pet store, gerbil, hamsters, ferrets, all small animals, all species of birds....finches to red wing macaw every single animal you can buy in a pet store will be included....all will need permits..... Nonindigenous....means every single living thing but native species...but cats and dogs will be safe because they are considered and acceptable pet.
Travis

Old 03-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
reptilebaby
This is so stupid. I feel for all of you in PA.
Just a matter of time I'm sure till it gets to my state.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Heart and Soul Reptiles
God I didn't even think about the birds! I have to get a damn permit for my cockatiel I've had longer than my kid and my fiance!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
reptilebaby
That's ridiculous...a permit for a COCKATIEL?? That's not an EXOTIC pet! It's a common one.
Parakeets, finches, lovebirds, canaries...all common birds. Hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils...not considered exotics by normal people.

EXOTICS around here are considered reptiles, chinchillas, ferrets, sugar gliders, flying squirrels, frogs...

Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Lair of Dragons
Nonindigenous....just the opposite of this:
in·dig·e·nous (n-dj-ns)
adj.
1. Originating and living or occurring naturally in an area or environment. See Synonyms at native.
2. Intrinsic; innate.
Never seen in the wild....Parakeets, finches, lovebirds, canaries...all common birds. Hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils...not considered exotics by normal people.

If its good for one species lets keep it fair for all...not fair to just list reptiles....birds have a better chance in the wild as do rodents. We all know its to cold here in the wild for most reptiles to survive. I say list them all and maybe enough owners of everything will step forward to fight it...reptile owners are to small of a community...but list everything and everyone will fight.
Travis

Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
gandabrenzo
The wording in the law states
Amending Title 30 (Fish) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated

Statutes, providing for nonindigenous and exotic reptile and

amphibian possession permits

which I take as being a law only for herps since it says "nonindigenous and exotic reptile and amphibian"

I dont think this has any affect on other animals although it should considering other animals (horses, dogs, cats...) have proven to be more dangerous and more costly to native wildlife.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
mikeyt
As one can see, most of this has come to light most recently since the problems in Florida, and the addition of several species to the lacey act. Now, I know a lot of small towns and municipality have enacted local legislation regarding reptile ownership and exhibition in the past. Most of those in our general area have seemingly stemmed from incidences from irresponsible owners, and have only mildly affected those responsible owners in those particular areas.

Now, it seems that every state wants to hop on the ban wagon. If I am correct, I believe that most, if not all governing forces for fish and wildlife in Pa, come out of the Harrisburg office. If anyone has been watching the news for the past 6 months plus, I am sure you have seen or heard about all of the financial problems Harrisburg is facing. It is financially broke and cannot meet its own payroll. It has had to hire outside sources to manage their funds and finances. The mayor is constantly at odds with fellow council members, and the city itself is I believe headed for federal bankruptcy court. Now I realize that this pertains to harrisburg city, but it also reflects upon the state government.

I guess my thinking on all of this is, with the world itself in a state of poor economy, gas prices on the rise, terrorism what it is and the list goes on. Who is going to pay for all of this, who is going to pay for the education of the so-called (governing body), who is going to pay their salaries. Where is this coming from, I ask? TAXPAYER $

Last time I checked, we at some point elect these people into office, and we the taxpayers pay their salaries. Why is it that we tolerate paying someone to tell us what we can and cannot do.

If the reptile community comes together to be heard, floods the office with phone calls, emails. Go to the public meetings and hearings I think at some time it will become very overwhelming and possibly more then they bargained for.

I had a good friend tell me once when it came to a good fight, I may lose, but I'm not going to make it easy for you, and your never gonna forget me

Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
Le Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandabrenzo View Post
The wording in the law states
Amending Title 30 (Fish) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated

Statutes, providing for nonindigenous and exotic reptile and

amphibian possession permits

which I take as being a law only for herps since it says "nonindigenous and exotic reptile and amphibian"

I dont think this has any affect on other animals although it should considering other animals (horses, dogs, cats...) have proven to be more dangerous and more costly to native wildlife.
this law does not cause a law that bans almost all nonnatives(including dogs and cats btw) is already introduced and passed the house so far.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!