What are these red marks on my albino pied? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 01:34 AM   #21
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
"Pink like bruising" is my layman's term Helen. Is it an actual bruise, not 100% sure, but whatever it is, it manifests itself repeatedly after live animal bite and claw attacks.
It's interesting, as if it is minor bleeding showing through the white scales I suppose bruise is the most accurate term. I just never thought about it before... thanks.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #22
mblan46
Thank you, I definitely see what you're saying. I'm a first time snake owner, so sometimes I come to the wrong assumptions, but I appreciate your thorough help. I do check on him about 20 minutes later to make sure all went well, but you're right that a lot can happen while I'm not there. Also, I'm planning to bring him to the vet for a check up anyway, so I'll also make sure that the red spots aren't more serious.

Unfortunately my snake gets a little finnicky when I'm close to his tank while he's feeding, so I'm not sure that he would let me subdue the rat, but I will try. If I watch the whole time and subdue the rat if necessary, will he still get the bruises? And if so, how harmful are they/do I have to switch to frozen/thawed?

Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
It's interesting, as if it is minor bleeding showing through the white scales I suppose bruise is the most accurate term. I just never thought about it before... thanks.
Never a problem. I think we simply become more aware of it when dealing with white snakes since it is more visible. The same thing happens with albinos and other lite colored ball pythons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblan46 View Post
1. Thank you,
2.I'm not sure that he would let me subdue the rat, but I will try.
3. And if so, how harmful are they/do I have to switch to frozen/thawed?
1. No problem.
2. Give it a try. Longer tongs might be a good start.
3. I unfortunately could not answer how "harmful" is it to the snake physically. I have observed what it does to the snake psychologically. Ball pythons, like other snakes have personalities and confidence levels. If a ball python is repeatedly attacked by its prey, in most cases I see the snake lose confidence and become either timid/scared of their prey moving forward. This often translates into them not eating for great periods of time OR only accepting extra-extra small prey (10 mice vs. 1 Jumbo rat).

You and your snake will be way better off if you can transition it over to thawed OR even freshly killed. Try killing the rat next time yourself. Then, while still internally warm, jiggle it in front of the snake on tongs... train the snake to take the dead rats and you will avoid the attacks and "bruising".

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!