Blackout 2003 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:18 PM   #1
Glenn Bartley
Blackout 2003

Man oh man, one of my own answers in another forum was just way too upbeat for me, it looked like a stranger's writing. I guess 6 1/2 hours watching traffic move by my parked car in Manhattan last night was too much to take. I had the opportunity to make it over the Brooklyn Bridge within 5 minutes or so of the outage, but decided I did not want to drive through a few thousand pedestrians who were on the roadway. I alos figured that if it was related to terrorism maybe I should hgang out around my office since I am now assigned to a terrorsit task force sort of group and since my agency is now under DHS. Well I decided that I'd get away from the office a bit, about 3 or 4 blocks away that is right behind NY Iron Works (NY City's largest gunstore in the downtown Manhattan area). They had whatever I needed if I would need it.

Well I parked on the block (for about 6 1/2 hours) behind the store - St. James Place or street. What a mess. At one long point - that street came to a virtual complete standstill for about 3.5 to 4 hours. In one 3 hour period, I watched traffic move ONLY ONE SMALL city block on that same street. It was kind of interesting though, hanging out watching the edge of panic all around as thousands and thousands (probably tens of thousands) of people crossed the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges afoot. (Both were easily seen from the spot I was at). While pepole were on the edge (understandably so because I am pretty sure terrorism was on their minds as it was on mine), they were pretty darned orderly, and patient. Heck they were even helpful to one another! New Yorkers - go figure.....

Best regards,
Glenn B (reporting from the street so to speak)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!