Chameleons in Florida - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
timgreener1
I live in ft myers, tried all the rumored spots, but never any luck. But every now and again I see someone post an add on craigslist saying they found a 'lizard' and have one for $300 bucks or something stupid.

I hear Alva area has them, never made it that way yet

Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #12
Scrooge
chameleons

Actually I have been to Ft. Myers and I know exactly where the property is where the veiled chameleons are. I have been there several times, and I have caught babies, juvies, and adults. The property is right off the exit of the highway, but it is in front of a residential neighborhood. The last time we went there the sons of one of the residents tried to fight me and my friends (redneck trash people) then they called the police. The police came and thankfully let us go because we had one small chameleon in our possession. fwc.com list the species of established reptiles and they used to give you pretty exact coordinates of established populations, don't know if they still do, but that was how I found this place- I googled the coordinates from the website.
I would like to start a different thread in the future and share some good spots in south Florida.

Also someone is selling tegus on the classified section, I know where they are exactly in homestead, behind Robert is Here tourist attraction, close to everglades national park I have a co worker who lives in that neighborhood and has accidentally ran over several of them on that road. You need traps to catch them...
I also will sell puertorican anoles from time to time, I catch those specifically in greynolds park in north Miami beach west of Biscayne Blvd , you guys should go if your in Miami good stuff there. Stripped basilisk, iguanas, all kinds anoles.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #13
smwboxer
The veiled's are pretty well established in my neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale. I have two that were caught right in my yard.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #14
Scrooge
What neighborhood exactly in ft laterdale? Lol your going to see a nerd in front of your house with a flashlight at night, that would be me so don't call the police!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #15
timgreener1
I still have yet to find any for myself. I recently bought my first house up in north port / port charlotte border. I have a decent amount of land and every so often go out with a flashlight looking but only found a few rat snakes.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
Scrooge
Dude you would be surprised, that neighborhood I'm talking about I scoured the whole neighborhood. The only place I found them was at the front of the neghborhood in a patch of overgrown jungle that is probably 50ft by 100ft, I think it's like a privacy fence. I did not find anything else in the entire neighborhood. It's more like a colony
This goes the same for other species for example curly tail Lizards, I know a Taco Bell of all places, behind the Taco Bell under a tangle wood tree there is a colony, you go a block away and there's nothing. They are not native animals and when they say they are established it doesn't mean they are reproducing in mass numbers on a 200 sq mile radius. They will be found on small locales.

Check the FWC.com website- another good example is the giant day geckos,, some people let them go on some of the keys islands and they are reproducing but have not extended their range.
Also Amelia Earhart park in Miami, this place only has spiny tail iguanas, outside the park there are none, inside the park they are full of them. I haven't spitted another area in Miami that has spiny tail iguanas, yet they are considered established.

I know there is another small locale of veiled in homestead also, there is a farmers market there were they have a "pet shop" selling wild caught chameleons that were caught close to that area.
There is a Savealot supermarket #329, only in that parking lot you will find red head agamas.
Tim, herping for non natives is like a searching needle in a haystack and unless you stumble across them or know exactly where they are you will never find them and unfortunately a lot of these releases where done on purpose for financial gain so they are kept secret. It's stupid because we all loose when we loose our native wild life to pet trade reptiles, even though I love all reptiles it's a total loss.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #17
dumje
I have seen the Spiny Tails in Amelia Earhart Park...ALL OVER the place in there

Old 08-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #18
giothereptileguy
i know a spot where the veiled are and ive caught them there every year for the last two in the same spot on the same time of year also seen red head agamas

Old 09-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
Jmyers
I caught a adult male Veild chameleon in Buckingham FL, I've lived in buckingham for 25 years this is the first one I've seen, he was crossing the road. I hear a lot of people say they see them all over I must be in the wrong location!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #20
salizaria7
Dead on the road Leopard Tortoise.......so sad

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!