OK. Now I need help from the experts - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
SPJ
OK. Now I need help from the experts

I have a November 2006 hatch female albino BP that from the beginning has been a sporadic feeder. She was tough getting started and never really ate with consistency. She was on the every 14-21 day schedule only occasionally eating 2 weeks in a row.
She was started on fuzzies and has never taken anything large than a 3/4 grown mouse.
Her last meal was November 9th. She refused food again last night. I have been offering weekly since her last meal but she is not interested at all.
I have tried moving her tub to a different shelf, lowering the temps a few degrees and raising them a few degrees. I have tried live, stunned, f/t, bag method, and nothing.
I do not handle her much at all except the other night when someone was looking at her because I usually leave her alone since she has never been a good feeder.
I know this time of year is when BP's go off feed but she is a yearling so should still be eating. I fed the yearling spider and she ate no problem last night as usual. The males are off feed but they have been breeding or want to breed so I am not concerned with them.
I am concerned with this one because it looks to me that she is now getting the ridge on her back.
Any suggesstions on how to get her feeding would be greatly appreciated.
I am thinking of scheduling a vet appointment but I'd hate to sepnd all the money and stress her when the vets have been less than helpful in the recent past when I brought animals in.
I am getting stressed out like you wouldn't believe because this is the longest she has ever gone without eating.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
jnjreptile
Have you tried putting her in a smaller shoe box with a tight hide? Like a 6 quart?
We have had very good luck getting picky feeder started by moving them to a smaller box, and giving them a small tight hide. I have found a 8oz deli cup with the out side covered with black electrical tape works very well for babies. We just cut a hole where the cup has the indented circle on bottom and put it upside down. For bigger animals ( upto 800 grams) you can do the same with a 6" cup
We have done this with picky c.b animals, c.h, and imports and 95% of them have started feeding with in 2 weeks this way.

Hope this helps and good luck with her.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Wilomn
Have you tried a small paperbag with a live fuzzy and a live ratpup at the same time overnight? I've had problem eaters go that way a few times.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
hhmoore
I am far from an expert on BPs...but since you specifically asked me to join the party -
What is the hottest you have had her temp range? And the coolest?
Have you tried a smaller box?

FWIW, I have an 05 girl that went off feed each of the last two winters, and has already started her foolishness this year.
I have also heard that a lot of people have that same complaint about their albinos (note - I did not say albinos, as a group, are poor feeders...just that I have heard many people express that sentiment about the ones that own them)

Unfortunately, with her in a rack with a group of others, it is more difficult to play the "see what makes this one happy" game. I think my first shot would be with a smaller box, narrower temp gradient (easier with a smaller box), and probably slightly higher temps. If that doesn't work, it might be worth dropping her temps a bit overall - pretty much just enough to let her metabolism slow a bit - let her play her winter games , then warm her back up and try to get her going again.

I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to her the other night...I can't even comment on her appearance/body weight. If she IS looking thin to you, it might be worth trying to assist feed her...she might just like it

Old 12-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjreptile
Have you tried putting her in a smaller shoe box with a tight hide? Like a 6 quart?
I've tried 15qt up to CB70 size.
I'll pick up a 6 qt and try that next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
Have you tried a small paperbag with a live fuzzy and a live ratpup at the same time overnight? I've had problem eaters go that way a few times.
Yes. That was the bag method I mentioned. I've tried fuzzy mice and rat pups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
What is the hottest you have had her temp range? And the coolest?
Hottest was a basking spot of 92 with a cool spot of 82.
Coolest was a basking spot of 88 with a cool spot of 78.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Wilomn
I meant trying them both at the same time. Give it a whirl.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
SPJ
You can see the ridge I am talking about in these pictures.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
I meant trying them both at the same time. Give it a whirl.
OK. I will order them tomorrow for the stores Wednesday shipment (only way I can get live feeders).

Old 12-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
SPJ
Anyone know anything about an oral appetite stimulant that can be given?
A few years ago, Mike Proetto stopped by with this stuff that was an appetite stimulant that he gave a het pied of mine. That snake started slamming food after that. It was like a kickstart that got that one eating steady.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
jnjreptile
Another trick that has worked good for us in the past is to move them into an area with ambient temps. We used to run heattape on everything, but we always had a bunch of c.h each year that didn't feed for us but once we sent them to a friend in Florida they fed within 2 or 3 days.
The only difference was the Florida weather, and ambient temps.

We started heating our snake rooms with a oil filled space heater to 86* and all our picky feeders started feeding like pigs. We use fans to make sure the heat spreads evenly, and the back of the boxes stay cool if they want it.

Might be worth a shot depending how big your snake room is .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!