What Lizard is This? (PICS!!) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-08-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
aimee_s
What Lizard is This? (PICS!!)

Hi Everyone,

I live in South San Francisco, CA (San Mateo County) and my uncle who lives a few blocks away found this lizard standing on his slippers in the garage.

He picked it up and put it in a plastic jar for my little cousins to eyeball before he set it free, but I felt so bad for the little guy that I put him into a 70 gallon enclosure that I had lying around with lots of bark and climbing areas in the middle, rocks on the corners, a hide log, a water dish, and branches my little cousins added in because they wanted to be helpful . I want to make sure he'll be eating right and fatten up a bit before we decide to let him go.

So... what is it? I looked around and I'm assuming it's a Western Fence Lizard, but I want to be sure so I know what else to feed him other than med-size dusted crickets. He does NOT have any blue on the throat or abdomen.

Thank you

- Aimee

Old 05-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Only Exotics
Alligator Lizard, not sure on the latin. Crickets and mealworms should be fine.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
boybronco
Yes. Alligator Lizard, they sparked my intrest in reptiles as a child here in Southern California. I kept many of them

Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
aimee_s
Thank you for helping me identify this little guy (or girl, I'll try to sex it later this afternoon when I get home)! It was fun to watch him walk all over the tank with my little cousins jumping around in excitement. They've seen and held my previous reptiles, but this one we'll be keeping at my grandparent's house (where the kids stay after school).

I did some research on it and it seems like it'd be pretty easy to take care. I'll be buying some reptile soil/bark later tonight in case it wants to shed I'll be teaching the little ones about the alligator lizard so they don't mess with it or anything and they know I'll be the only one feeding it. Hehe.

This is a great start to moving back into my South San Francisco home. My San Francisco apartment lease is up (they said NO PETS, so I gave away all my leopard geckos, russian tortoise, and beardie last year) and this has definitely re-sparked my interest in reptiles. Thank goodness I have a supportive boyfriend who understands that I need reptiles around. Hehe.

THANKS AGAIN, I appreciate the help in ID'ing this lizard! This is my first time actually seeing one, so hopefully I can find another one to put in the 70g tank with it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!