very VERY POOR HUSBANDRY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-26-2002, 04:56 PM   #1
HallsHerps
ok heres the full name and address forthose who wish to make a drive by
FISH & REPTILE EMPORIUM
683 CARY TOWNE BLVD
CARY, NC
(919)461-2400

its been one week since i was there , heres the situation they have to start off with there housing Boas, Pythons in the same less then standard enclosures , they have two large rooms id say 12x12 in each room they have a large "garden type pond" for soaking, also filled with probably much older CHIT then someone said about neils place only this was in the water ( only source so there also drinking this old water filled with chit) ok in one room they have that i personally walked in with persuasion a 14-15 ft burmese python, 2 -9-12 foot albino pythons , a fw 5-8 ft pythons and at the time to miserable looking Boas ( covered in bite wounds and puss filled scars) ok this room has a 10 ft ceiling in it and the snakes were "chilled" might i say to the touch.only means spam_of heat i could visible and physically see were a few spam_what looked like 250 w heat lamps nothing to my visual eye on the floorheat.
ok room #2 spam_thre were 3 spam_best i could tell retics all housed in the same room and one burmese room was same conditions as other but a lil cleaner as he had just cleaned it that day.
ok now outside thiese rooms was ( i think) a 75 or 90 gallon tank with 3 pittyful looking suri's and a few cold mite covered albino pythons this cage was heated with a looked like 75 w heat bulb.
ok now this brings me to the long line of built in stacked spam_cages they have with various types of snakes geckos and lizards spam_. The time i went in the store was when the opened for buisness 11am !! spam_ok that being said when i spam_entred there store the lights were off ... hmmm i noticed all the cages were dark spam_ no heat lights at all were own and the cages were on average 20's,30's & 55 gallon tanks spam_, they have a abundant supply of ball pythons spam_which are kept in lots of like 5-10 per cage !!here and again not healty way to keep your snakes housed ? spam_ so by this time im thinking geesh spam_how bad can one store be ? so i then started a round of questions to th employee , asking him what kinda temps i need to keep these snakes at if i were to buy one , omg he started to tell me that the boas and pythons were tropical snakes and liked it rather dry and not having temps over about 75 - 80 max!!! so i asked him " is that why ya dont leave the lights on in the cages at night ? he said yeah that and power bill. ok by this time i could no longr hold up the charades i was livid (sp) in the manner there animals were being kept so i told him what i felt needed to be done , starting with needing to sale /give/ something away or buy more cages to house animals seperate and if nothing else keep the da_n boas and pythons seperate as there were disease that could be passed to ea snake that the others do not have or noemally would get , not to mention the large water ponds with the fecal& urinates in it is like feeding the snakes poison. and thats also another good way to make spam_disease spread by leaving tanks in the shape they were in there spam_so at this time i was told i needed to give them a break that they were doing the best they could ... i will be going back there sometime this week and if at all possible i am going to take pictures ( if they let me in w a camera) well spam_if anyone lives in the Raleigh /cary area and has ben or would like to drop by that store location and check out there place on there own , like i spam_said i feel i did the right thing spam_in asking first what advice they give to a person they would sell these spam_poor sickly looking animals to ? then after there spam_advice on " how to kill your pet snake " i gave conSTRUCTIVE spam_advice on how they can atleast make there place better for the animals they have and the took offense to that so when i go back this week if the situations have not bettered for the animals ( i doubt they have) i will then take the next step in contacing the fish & wildlife to make a visit , now those who think spam_in the terms of being a rat or ( i hope there should be none of those ) im sorry but the condition they had there were FAR less the ideal for anything much less reptiles . spam_well theres my spam_info on a BAD place to do buisness unles you want to do a lot of $$$$ in making the animals better
ALan HAll <~~~ look full name , and ITS MINE spam_lol

Old 02-26-2002, 08:06 PM   #2
Neil Gubitz
Alan...You ABSOLUTELY did the right thing! And you should have contacted the Fish and Game ALREADY!! I don't care WHO's store it is, INCLUDING MINE!! If it is THAT bad shape...report it to the Owner FIRST, then to the F&G...using YOUR REAL NAME!! I've done that TWICE in the last five years! The places were disgusting and it was just too much for me to stay silent....I told the owner EXACTLY what I thought (he/she told me to stick it), and then I called the F&G UNDER MY REAL NAME to file a complaint of cruelty to the animals! If you EVER see that in MY store...I would HOPE you'd do the same! I'm NOT exempt from ANYTHING!! It's called "checks and balances"! I have NO problem with that...as long as it's done OVERTLY! ....Neil

Old 02-26-2002, 08:46 PM   #3
Sean Belanger
I did something similar about a local pet store here. I asked the owner about the cages being cleaned and what not...all he could say was he'd get around to cleaning it when he could. I called the owner several times and went in his store afterwards only to find the same degree of uncleanliness and unsanitary conditions as before. I contacted F&G who then say they inspected the store on two seperate occasions after my calls and they said they never saw anything wrong. It's sad but some people's degree of sanitary and healthy living conditions just aren't the same as others. What can you do?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!