Hatchling Concentric Diamondback Terrapin - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
Dr_ScottyDog
Question Hatchling Concentric Diamondback Terrapin

Hi folks, my name is Dr. AL, anyway, I recently purchased a Concentric Diamondback Terrapin, a beautiful hatchling that is full of energy, swims around the tank, eats well and basks often. Anyway, to get to the point, my question is, everything I have read says they are excellent swimmers and give them as deep of swimming areas as possible, etc. etc. My turtle seems to do a lot of floating around the tank, I see him trying to swim down to the bottom and I should say, struggle to swim to the bottom, it is like he is overly buoyant or something. Is this something he has to learn and it is he is just really young, or is this some sort of problem or indication of a problem, or is it something to do with his breed? All of my other turtles seem to have a neutral buoyancy and can swim on the surface or along the bottom effortlessly. If anyone has any knowledge to this please inform me. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:45 PM   #2
Wu-Gwei
Dr. Al,

DBT are one of the most colourful and pretty turtles species in North America. Congratulations!

I agree and you should keep them in lots of water, 4-5 times the length of its shell. All hatchlings are poorer swimmers and yes, have a natural buoancy. So they will struggle to the bottom. As they get older, after a few months, they will be able to sit on the bottom quite easily. Just make sure you have a nice basking spot where it can climb completely out of the water to bask.

Cheers,
JJ

Old 09-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Dr_ScottyDog
Talking Thanks

Thanks a lot, I kinda figured and definitely hoped that was the case

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!