Off The Ark Exotic Pets INQUIRY - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 PM   #21
bigtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by viandy
Big Tiger,
You seem to be missing the point of this thread. Off the Ark Exotic Pets very brazenly breaks state law by advertising and selling Virginia native species, such as Yellow bellied sliders, Eastern Painted turtles, and Eastern box turtles. He violates Chesterfield County law by displaying and selling venomous animals. If he sells a Va native herp that has been perfectly well cared for, he breaks the law. It is that simple. Do you support breaking wildlife laws, or laws in general? That is the primary thing this thread has been talking about, not how he treats animals, but that he breaks the law. This reflects badly on reptile keepers as a whole, and can bring about stricter local and state laws concerning the keeping of exotics. I am not in favor of that, and I doubt that you are either.
As for his concern for animals' well being and his standards of animal care, you need to read what Vinnie says on this thread which he initiated:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...light=biosphere

He talks about having a 4'X4'X2' cage into which he'll put:

1 Tarantula, size corresponding to other animals in its "world", leopard geckos, with a heat pad in their section of the "world", collared lizards that should climb and bask, baby sulcatas and a pair of mice (adam and Eve).

If someone who proposes that cares for the welfare of animals, they are not knowledgeable of the animals' basic needs. Conversely, if they are aware of the animals' needs, they have no concern for their welfare.

Andy Via
Actually Andy,the initial point of this thread was an individual asking for info on off The Ark.That was the initial point.I gave my personal experience with Vinny.So no,I was not missing the point.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:03 AM   #22
viandy
If I asked about a store and was told it was clean, well maintained, and stocked with illegal merchandise, it's the latter information that would be of must interest to me. Don't you think that's something important to know?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #23
rlmcritters
Actually Andy, Bigtiger is correct, the first question was about any dealings, not about bashing. Chesterfield was there today and they were satisfied and the State makes their normal inspections. Proper permits are in place and there are more legal permits for crocodilians(sp) than you are aware of. Hope you don't get offened by this reply as I have considered you a friend in the past. There are lots of venomous around in collections. Your ex boss had them in his house! See you around.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #24
rlmcritters
As a side note, I have read the "quote" from the dog catcher on page 2 several times and had a legal friend read it. No where does it say venomous snakes can not be kept. It clearly says exotic and wild animals. The venomous snakes is implied only and just his or her interpretation and there for can't really be enforced. They don't like it, but it can't be said to be illegal. Why do you think the guy that got bit by his albino exotic pet wasn't prosecuted. Just my take on that ordinance.

Regards, Randy

Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #25
snakewrangler
If he's not breaking the law, he's not breaking the law. Fair enough. I still thnk his idea of a collared lizard/sulcata/leopard gecko/tarantula/rodent habitat is idiotic.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #26
Serafim
Andy are you 100% sure these animals were Wc from Virginia. Because according to the the code of Virginia

Under the section Other Regulations & Guidelines Regarding Buying and Selling Wildlife it states:

Because the Lacey Act restricts the interstate transport of birds and other animals, federal laws prohibit moving fish and wildlife into the state if they were illegally taken elsewhere. Therefore, if you make a wildlife purchase from an out-of-state supplier, the species must have been legally collected, propagated, and/or sold according to the laws of that state.

So if those Boxies came from a state where they are not protected and they were collected and sold according to the other states laws It appears to be legal. Not defending Off the Ark Im just trying to be partial.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:03 PM   #27
Serafim
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmcritters
As a side note, I have read the "quote" from the dog catcher on page 2 several times and had a legal friend read it. No where does it say venomous snakes can not be kept. It clearly says exotic and wild animals. The venomous snakes is implied only and just his or her interpretation and there for can't really be enforced. They don't like it, but it can't be said to be illegal. Why do you think the guy that got bit by his albino exotic pet wasn't prosecuted. Just my take on that ordinance.

Regards, Randy
If the venomous snake is not indigenous to Virginia or The county it is an exotic species / Animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmcritters
The venomous snakes is implied only and just his or her interpretation and there for can't really be enforced.
If you are not going to name your legal source that is third party information and Violates the rules of the BOI...

Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #28
viandy
I stand corrected.

Well, my knowledge of the law is obviously lacking, and I apologize for that. Whenever I put things on the BOI I try to make them strictly factual, and it seems like I am off target in this case. I certainly have no argument with you, Randy, about this. If I'm wrong about the state and local codes, well, I apologize. I was speaking in ignorance and I stand corrected.
Given my personal interaction with the store's owner, I don't support him and couldn't recommend him. Having someone lie to me doesn't make me want to do business with them. The "biosphere" thread makes me shudder.
I will definitely do more research before I post a "fact", it seems I didn't do a very good job of it this time.
Andy Via

Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #29
ruby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafim
Andy are you 100% sure these animals were Wc from Virginia.

So if those Boxies came from a state where they are not protected and they were collected and sold according to the other states laws It appears to be legal. Not defending Off the Ark Im just trying to be partial.

The way this has been explained to me by VA Game officials is that it is illegal to sell any non-game/protected species that is native to Virginia, regardless of whether or not it was WC, CB, imported from out-of-state originally, or what ever: if it is a species native to VA, it cannot be sold (certain exceptions apply).

Old 09-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #30
Serafim
So their own state law enforcement code is open for interpretation. It is obvious if the guy is selling them and has been inspected by the county and commonwealth their may be some type of grey area.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!