Popular sweetener TOXIC to dogs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Cat_72
Popular sweetener TOXIC to dogs

There apparently has been some specualtion that this may somehow be linked to the recent pet food recalls....but even if it isn't, it is information ALL pet owners should know!

Sweetener xylitol can be toxic to dogs

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' Animal Poison Control Center is warning veterinarians, their staff, and pet owners that the xylitol—a sweetener found in some sugar-free chewing gums, candies, and other products can cause serious—possibly life-threatening problems for dogs.

Dogs ingesting large amounts of products sweetened with xylitol may have a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting depression, loss of coordination, and seizures, according to Dr. Eric K. Dunayer, a consulting veterinarian in clinical toxicology for the poison control center. The center is most concerned about products in which xylitol is the primary ingredient.

"These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product," Dr. Dunayer said in a statement. "Therefore, it is important that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately."

Some data suggest a link between xylitol ingestion and liver failure in dogs, he said, though those data are insufficient to draw firm conclusions.

Dr. Dunayer published a case study on xylitol toxicosis in the April 2004 issue of the journal Veterinary and Human Toxicology.

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/sep04/040901c.asp

Another article, more lengthy....


http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...weetener_N.htm
 
Old 03-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
techgirl
Actually dogs don't need to ingest large amounts. Due to the fact that most companies will not release the amount of xylitol contained in the product ingested, most pets that are exposed must get looked at as quickly as possible and be monitored for minimum 12 hours. However in rare cases, liver failure can be seen in 24-48 hours. I have seen this way too often.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back by popular demand. *BEEGU* Pics Miss Tuniwha General Herp Talk 8 06-26-2007 06:52 PM
Why arent they popular? van_veen456 Other Snakes Discussion Forum 10 10-12-2006 03:12 AM
Popular Ball Python Morphs Art Klass Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization 1 04-02-2006 10:03 PM
Is mortar toxic? Th3HiddenGecko Geckos Discussion Forum 3 03-02-2006 09:13 PM
how popular are rosy and sand boas redrott Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum 1 07-10-2005 10:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.03053403 seconds with 12 queries
Content copyrighted ©2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC