Custom Snake Condo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
charles85
Custom Snake Condo

So I've drawn up some awesome plans for a snake condo. It will be made out of birch wood for the safety of the snakes. I plan on coating the entire unit in this non toxic epoxy called Pond Armor. So here is my question...... If I plan to coat the unit entirely with Pond Armor, don't you think I'd be able to use pine plywood instead of birch?

The reason I ask this question, I'd like to build two of these units and for the price I'll pay to build one with birch I could build two with pine. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you're unfamiliar with Pond Armor I have a link attached. TIA.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pond-Arm...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2018, 12:54 AM   #2
charles85
Here is another product I'm researching. I can get this product It larger quantities. Still no VOC and animal safe like the Pond Armor.......

https://liquidrubberusa.com/products...nt=26026277315

Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
Randall Turner
I use to build my enclosures out of laminated pine for my burmese pythons years ago. As long as they are sealed they are completely fine to use. Only downside is pine is fairly soft so can be damaged a little easier than hard wood.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
charles85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
I use to build my enclosures out of laminated pine for my burmese pythons years ago. As long as they are sealed they are completely fine to use. Only downside is pine is fairly soft so can be damaged a little easier than hard wood.
Cool thanks for that......what's your opinion on the epoxy products I mentioned? I received an email from Liquid Rubber and here is the quoted email.......
Trevor Labon(Liquid Rubber)

Aug 1, 23:44 AEST

Hello Charles

TheOriginal Black Waterproof Sealantis deemed 'fish safe', and has been used by at least one reptile store, as well as being used in fish ponds.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Have a great day!
Trevor

Old 01-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
Burton Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles85 View Post
So I've drawn up some awesome plans for a snake condo. It will be made out of birch wood for the safety of the snakes. I plan on coating the entire unit in this non toxic epoxy called Pond Armor. So here is my question...... If I plan to coat the unit entirely with Pond Armor, don't you think I'd be able to use pine plywood instead of birch?

The reason I ask this question, I'd like to build two of these units and for the price I'll pay to build one with birch I could build two with pine. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you're unfamiliar with Pond Armor I have a link attached. TIA.....

It did look a lot like the much more expensive baltic birch ply I used before, ... It if is southern yellow pine plywood, it is plenty strong. .... But if there is any concern that the chosen material is not strong enough, I'd rather take ...

Old 04-29-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
Matilda12
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles85 View Post

The reason I ask this question, I'd like to build two of these units and for the price I'll pay to build one with birch, I could build two with pine. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you're unfamiliar with Pond Armor I have a link attached. TIA.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton Bee View Post
It did look a lot like the much more expensive baltic birch ply I used before, ... It if is southern yellow pine plywood, it is plenty strong. .... But if there is any concern that the chosen material is not strong enough, I'd rather take ...
yeah he is right it's more expansive then normal by they way thanks for sharing your story with us .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!