Bearded Dragon X Rankins Dragon Hybrids - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Rebel Dragons
Bearded Dragon X Rankins Dragon Hybrids

What's y'all opinion on this. I have been told of a breeder who is doing it and I must say I'm not real enthusiastic about it.

I have not researched it much yet, so perhaps someone else who knows a little more about it can come here and post some info.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Art Klass
I don't think that there is a good reason to hybridize the two dragons, or any other species for that matter. Do you know for what purpose he is breeding them together?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Jake The Snake
Whats the purpose of most hybrids in repltiles anyway? I'll take a stab at this and say money. I don't agree in hybrid reptiles at all. For working animals such as mules, I have no problem.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Rebel Dragons
Apparently the 2 breeders that I know of producing them only do it because "they can". They argue that in natural settings they come into contact and hybridize themselves. Although most if not all of the resulting babies are incapable of reproducing. Apparently a side effect of the breeding's is that all the hybrids are sterile. If sterility is an almost always occurrence in the babies, I would venture to say $$$ is the only reason to continue producing them.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Dragons
Apparently the 2 breeders that I know of producing them only do it because "they can". They argue that in natural settings they come into contact and hybridize themselves. Although most if not all of the resulting babies are incapable of reproducing. Apparently a side effect of the breeding's is that all the hybrids are sterile. If sterility is an almost always occurrence in the babies, I would venture to say $$$ is the only reason to continue producing them.
I see no reason to dirty bloodlines by doing this or most other hybrids. I would pay more for a pure blood herp than some nasty hybrid.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Art Klass
If the breeding occurs naturally, then they are considered intergrades. Whatever you call them, there still is no good reason for breeding them together..... especially for money.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
DeadIrishD
IMO alot of hybrids are cool looking and for the science behind it is pretty cool, but than again when you do it to make money off of them, and dirty genes than it's not worth it.

not all hybrids are infertile, either which is the main problem that I myself find in them.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
Art Klass
I must admit that I also have a curiosity regarding the outcome of hybridization. It's interesting at best, but wrong on many levels.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
Jake The Snake
I have a strong oppinion about making hybrids for money and I have expressed it here before. I see no reason to fight the laws of nature. What are the chances a ball and a blood will ever meet in wild? Not in our life times. Snakes have went through many many years of evolution to get where they are now. By creating hybrids, we are forcing them to start the adapt to survive deal all over again, for what? So we can make a good dollar? No good reason if you ask me. Wonder why so many hybrids are infertile, probably because its not meant to be. I mean herps have developed all sorts of features and characteristics to help them survive where they live. Be it eyes on the top of the head in the anacondas to the black color of Marine iguanas to warm up quickly in the sun, they got these features for a reason. I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way here but I feel I can be straight up with everyone here. Hope this post makes sense.
Jake

Old 07-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
khoffman
i think that hybrids suck, wow ya there cool lookin some of them i guess but they arent meant to be at all. i guess you could say that about designer morph snakes to i guess to each is own i know i woldnt have highbrids thats just my take on this thread i guess.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!