What is going on with the All Ohio show? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
mmfrankford
Question What is going on with the All Ohio show?

Unfortunately it seems like the show is slowly going downhill. There are less breeders, more mom and pop sellers, and a lot of people bringing in thier animals for trade. There is nothing really wrong with that, however the quality of animals at this show are getting questionable, and there is no one to contact if something happens. Also a lot of tables are empty. It seems like every time I go I see less and less of the "usual" sellers.
What's going on? I've been going to this monthly show for more than six years and have noticed a decline. I was curious if the Hamper's were still running the show or is it under new management? Is this going on with other monthly shows?
There are still a couple of breeders who have great animals, it's just that in the past there were more of them. Well in the next week I'm moving out of Columbus. The show will be an hour and a half away, sadly it doesn't seem worth it to travel to anymore. The Indy show is also the same distance away. How's that show doing?
(Sorry for my lousy writing, 24 hours lack of sleep.)

Old 12-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
garweft
It probably has more to do with increased internet sales than anything else. It is just a lot easier to sell online and ship them out from home than to buy a table, pack everything up, do the show thing, and in the end make like $20 after gas, tables, and such. I would rather sell a 20 lot to someone else that wants to go to the show and resell them.

There was also the ODNR thing, but I doubt that that would affect most breeders.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
DAND
Yes, the Hampers are still running it.

As for the answer to why there is a decline in vendors and quality of animals, I haven't a clue. A lot could have to do with the customers. I myself see the questionable vendors withthe poorly housed and cared for animals doing better than those of us with higher husbandry standards and quality animals due to the customers wanting the cheap animal. I spoke to a woman at the Butler Pa show last weekend who said she'd rather buy the cheaper animals. Even if one or two dies it'll still be cheaper than buying a more expensive one. it's the mentality like that, that makes it difficult for those who take pride in their animals. I'm sure that I will hear at least half a dozen times today if I have any $15.00 dollar snakes or lizzards.

I'm not sure what you meant when you said "and there is no one to contact if something happens".

Old 12-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Bar None Reptiles
I can tell you about my experience as a vendor there a few times, but this is only me. I cannot speak for everyone else. I moved a few hours away from Columbus in Kentucky and figured I would give it a shot. I did OK on the first show, but it was basically just a giant petting zoo if you ask me. The drive was really long and boring and the fact that it starts at 9am makes it no easier to do, whereas most others started at 10 and we considerably closer. I don't really like getting up at 4am to drive to a show and make not much more than it cost for me to get there and back. The second time I didn't attend because it was snowing. A long treck like that in the snow just wasn't worth the couple of bucks I would make. The last show I atteneded was just horrible. I actually made NO sales! I also was listening to the other breeders talk about their dragons being "het for sandfire". That right there just sealed the deal. If someone was going to believe that then this just wasn't the kind of show I wanted to be at. Not to mention the magntitude of people selling wild caught specimens that to my untrained eye even looks sickly. It's confusing to get a table, I had to call several different numbers that I kept getting sent to just to speak to a person. It was just too much effort and too far of a drive. I find the vendors at other shows more friendly and fun to hang around with than at this show. Granted I had only attended a few times and I am sure they are very nice, no offense to anyone who does vend there, but I just enjoy the shows a little closer to home. Even if I don't make much in sales I am always guaranteed to have a great time! Just my experience and I hope no one takes personal offense to this, I do not intend it be offensive to the character of anyone in particular.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
mmfrankford
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
I'm not sure what you meant when you said "and there is no one to contact if something happens".
What I meant is it nice to deal with the more professional breeders, so if you have questions or concerns there is usually someone to contact. Some of the sellers at the Ohio show are there only one show and are never seen again. Your taking a chance that the animal you buy from them is OK. I guess it's a gamble.

That's pretty bad that all some are looking for are "cheap" animals. Who knows, they might end up with WC or sickly animals. I actually prefer to buy from breeders, knowing the snake I'm buying was born at the breeders facility with known genetics and temperement. Not an animal that has been traded back and forth at several shows with no background info. There is one big seller (with lots of wc in 10 gallons) who does trades all day, I won't go near that stuff at all. There's a gamble with any of those animals.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
Gary O
I do not want to say anything bad about the columbus show as I am friends with the people that run it. I just started getting into shows myself again and was scouting to see what show to vend.

Columbus does not have the building it once had a long time ago when I vended there. It is small and hard to get around and really hard to stand and talk to a vendor. This IMO has a lot to do with it.

I vend at Taylor I scouted it even though a very good friend runs it. They get the traffic and the place is nice and spread out. Many vendors that did columbus now do this show.

I will also be doing indy within the next few months.

I remember as a vendor Columbus was the monthly show to be at. It was in the center of everything. But IMO the building has a lot to do with it along with what happened a few years ago. The people that were around then know what I am talkign about.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
bgexotics
We vended at columbus once and have attended several times just to buy stuff and see friends. We made money when we vended there but there is a higher overhead when you vend at Columbus especially if you are from out of state. First you are supposed to have a vet certificate to bring your animals into the state. Second you pay $35 for a 6 foot table and still have to pay general admission. Third the location is lousy and there is very little room for vendors or customers. I would much rather do the Kentucky or Indy shows where I can get a much cheaper table, the vendors sell higher quality animals and the people are much nicer in general.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:40 AM   #8
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
Columbus does not have the building it once had a long time ago when I vended there. It is small and hard to get around and really hard to stand and talk to a vendor. This IMO has a lot to do with it.
It is my understanding that they will be relocating next year (after August I believe). The same space troubles are an issue I also have with the Cleveland show which is moving locations as of next month. I've been to the new place and I think the space issues won't be a concern there.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:35 AM   #9
mmfrankford
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgexotics
I would much rather do the Kentucky or Indy shows where I can get a much cheaper table, the vendors sell higher quality animals and the people are much nicer in general.
When and where is the Kentucky show? Is there a website? Always looking for new shows to check out.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
mmfrankford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
I vend at Taylor I scouted it even though a very good friend runs it. They get the traffic and the place is nice and spread out. Many vendors that did columbus now do this show.
Where is the Taylor show?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!