Keeping snakes in the same cage - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #51
hhmoore
psssst.
Wes.
wrong person.
That was Alicia you were responding to, not Steph. (though she was the one that used the word)

Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #52
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
psssst.
Wes.
wrong person.
That was Alicia you were responding to, not Steph. (though she was the one that used the word)
oops, sorry.

They sort of blurred there.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #53
hhmoore
Alicia, you are late to this party - keep in mind that the early content has changed some since it began. Minimally...just a few words, really. But that was enough to totally change the context of a post.

I have no argument with you, and will not make one. I think you will agree that I am, as a rule, very much aware of the variety of people that might read my posts; and my phrasing generally reflects that. Before you respond, think (or look) back to exactly what I have said in this thread.

So many people have been throwing in the comment "except for breeding". That amuses me because it has been during periods of cohabitation for that specific purpose that I have had the most incident. The black mexican kingsnake female that grabbed the male by the head (and began trying to swallow) as soon as he touched her, the sinaloan male that decided that the minimally smaller female would make a better meal than partner, the albino nelsons that went after each other every time they were introduced. I can think of 8 separate pairings that I had these problems with. Before I knew better, I housed my colubrids in pairs...never had one problem. Keep in mind that I have never worked large scale with colubrids - In fact, I have probably only attempted to breed them on 5 separate years - so the frequency of the problems with breeding should lead me to speak against that, to leave the breeding to the pros, or (gasp) purchase WC animals to reduce the risk to captive populations. Of course, that last portion is silly (and totally tongue in cheek, in case there were any doubts), but rest assured I could make my argument convincing enough for those that don't know better...and those that do would be inclined to step in and tell me I am wrong.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #54
Mooing Tricycle
eh?

I think you should fix this to post to whom its meant.

Yes. i swore, and if i get reprimanded because of it, then thats what happens. Im not too worried. I was wrong and admit it freely. such is my responsibility as a mature person who has wronged.

Such is life.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:19 AM   #55
ldydrgn
Anybody mind if I throw in my 1/2 cent?

We generally keep all of our animals in seperate enclosures because I keep records and monitor health. We do have one pair that live together year round mainly because they won't breed if they are seperated. Very territorial and all that jazz....

This is much like the live vs. f/t debate. Some will say it's ok, some will argue vehemently against it. One will say, "Works for me, never had a problem" and another comes back with, "My snakes were chewed to pieces!"

Not everyone is going to have success with housing animals together and some will.

Quarantine first, naturally. If you wish to keep strict records, keep them seperated. If you decide to house them together down the road, then do what someone else suggested: feed them well and seperately. And most importantly, monitor behavior closely.

All in all.. do what works best for you as long as you do not notice any detrimental health issues with the cohabitants.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #56
TripleMoonsExotic
Ok guys, I'm locking this thread.

If anyone would like to add their opinions on cohabbing, please got to the Hognose forum here and post your opinions/experience. Please do not take any bickering over there.

Alicia, post #44 was edited to remove the offending word.

Wes, your post after #50 was removed because it was off topic.

Again, thank you all for bringing your opinion into this thread.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread