FaunaClassifieds upgrade now in progress - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
WebSlave
FaunaClassifieds upgrade now in progress

My programmer is now in the process of updating the main message board software for this site, along with all the custom mods he has done over the years. So this is going to be a pretty involved process.

I'm thinking about dropping the main page and going with something different, but will have to test out some options to see how well this works. I'm not sure how many people actually go to the front page of this site rather than just jumping right into the forums anyway.

I've been discussing with my programmer the possibility of adding a blog section and perhaps wiki capability as well, since the new version will be compatible with some new addons. I tried providing individual forums for members a while back, but that didn't go over very well, so I'm not sure if blogging would have much interest to anyone here. As for wiki capability, my programmer feels it may be a waste of time on this site since it is so infested with trolls and individuals who would attempt to derail it's effectiveness that it would never really get off the ground.

I would also like to do something with the two classifieds sections so I could combine them both into a single section, having the best of both aspects incorporated. This, of course, will require custom coding, so I would like some input about what features you all would want to see in this new classifieds section. I can then present this to my programmer as a wish list so I can get a feel for feasibility as well as cost for implementing such a thing. The upgrade itself is going to be quite expensive, so it's entirely possible that the cost just might be more than I can afford now, if at all.

Some features will not be incorporated into the upgraded site, simply because I don't feel they ever really pulled their own weight. And to be perfectly honest, if I thought I could get away with it without killing this site completely, I would go back to being HerpWantAds.com and just drop the other animal sections completely. But I seriously doubt I could get away with that at this late date. Obviously expanding from HerpWantAds to include the other animal groups in FaunaClassifieds just never really worked out. So I may trim them all down substantially, or just roll them all together into an "Other Animals" type of category.

Not sure how long this will take, or even what final changes will happen here when the dust all settles. But in any event, the site will likely be different enough to disorient some people when the switchover finally takes place. Of course, some will like it and others will hate it. But regardless of that, it will definitely be a one way ticket with no going back to the old version. The newer version is NEEDED to be compatible with the newer more secure versions of PHP and MySQL, so there is really not much choice in this matter at all. I put if off longer than I should, already as it is.

Anyway, just a fyi.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
WebSlave
My programmer just notified me that he can finish up and implement the upgrade this upcoming week.

I take it no one is interested in blog or wiki capability here.

And with no comments concerning the classifieds sections, I guess they will remain the same until a better idea comes to me.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Alright! SWEET! ( i never saw this rich!)

I LOVE IMPUT TIME!

I think the classifieds, forum based as they are now are good, but addition of a photo on the left side, so you an see what you might be going to look at. ( as well as a visible price!) I hate having to click an ad just to find the price.... im lazy!)

As for blogs, i personally think its a cool idea. I use them frequently, but again, it depends on others opinions too. Just because i use them dosnt mean others will.

Would it be possible to use an RSS feed on them to link back to our own journals/websites too? That would be pretty cool!!!

I think wiki would be a good idea actually. or maybe a Tagging search feature!!!! Tags are hugely popular now, and are really really great when you want to find something about a specific topic. and i have to say, while our search function is OK... its not the greatest. So tagging * someone would have to go through the process of tagging posts, or make it a new thing to start tagging, and make it required* would make things easier to find

Again, something id be willing to do when i have spare time.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
I think the classifieds, forum based as they are now are good, but addition of a photo on the left side, so you an see what you might be going to look at. ( as well as a visible price!) I hate having to click an ad just to find the price....
I agree.

I think a blogging feature could be a cool idea, but I'm not sure if it'll be used by the type of members we have here on Fauna? I know on RG blogging is fairly popular, but I'd hate to see you spend the money on the feature and not have it used.

I've always thought Wikis were cool...BUT...You will need a few mods to watch it because of spamming and inappropriate advertising (I can volunteer to help look out for the Wiki)...Maybe you could even make it so only paid members can add/edit in it?

Looking forward to the forum upgrade!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
upgrade!?
I hate being upgraded! It always involves learning how to do stuff I used to know how to do! and it usually breaks as soon as I start to figure it out!
Oh well~ I imagine I'm in the minority in hating upgrades.

I don't actually know what a wiki or blog feature would do~ but I do like the idea of pics next to the ads~ if thats what y'all are saying.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
upgrade!?
I hate being upgraded! It always involves learning how to do stuff I used to know how to do! and it usually breaks as soon as I start to figure it out!
Oh well~ I imagine I'm in the minority in hating upgrades.

I don't actually know what a wiki or blog feature would do~ but I do like the idea of pics next to the ads~ if thats what y'all are saying.

Blogs are like a journal, on the forum. Its sort of a personal space where you can update about your life, and people can read and make comments. * we can sort of do that now, when we post on the forums, or General BS, or SOUND OFF!* so that wouldnt be as big of a thing to me. * But i would use it!*

Wiki, is like Wikipedia.... ive never really seen it implemented on a website, so i cant say how it works on smaller sites, but that, anything on wikipedia can be edited, and changed, or added to. Its like, an encyclopedia that everyone gets to add info to. They are reviewed and edited by your peers though, so if you put something in thats obviously wrong, it will be taken out. * ive never edited or put info in one, so i dont know how the process works entirely, just a basic understanding* But i would think we would use it here, on species of snakes, and care, and maybe problems that arise? Not sure..... It could be quite useful though

Old 09-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
I'm thinking about dropping the main page and going with something different, but will have to test out some options to see how well this works. I'm not sure how many people actually go to the front page of this site rather than just jumping right into the forums anyway.
I assume the main page is the official one here.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/mainpage.php

To be honest, I have always really considered the forum index page here as the main page. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php?

I don't know if anyone visits the other. I forget it is there. Going with something different may be a great idea.

It will be nice to have the benefits of both classified sections rolled into one.

I added this thread to my signature line. Hopefully, others will come and give some opinions.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:33 AM   #8
hhmoore
If the mainpage goes away, I'll figure it out (I do like the "latest" sections, though).
As for the classifieds, both of the current versions have pros & cons. Finding a way to combine them in a manner that offered most of the positive features of both would be great...but if its a hassle, or very costly, I'm not sure it would be a worthwhile venture.
(I've got no input on blogs or wiki)

Old 09-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
WebSlave
Exclamation

Expect some downtime in the early AM hours (EST) on Thursday, 09/18/08. That's when my programmer is planning on doing the switchover to the upgraded code.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
To be honest, I have always really considered the forum index page here as the main page. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php?
I consider that the "main" page as well....I've gotten to the "real" main page by accident a couple of times, and it just confuses me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
fauna upgrade, faunaclassifieds