can you tame a gator? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #11
Rattlesnake
As far as your question about being able to "tame" a gator. I don't think that is possible as we define the word "tame". Remember that a gator is a stimulus-response reaction animal. You may be able to teach them to become accustomed to your presence and not lung at you. but I do not think you can actually tame a gator. Reptiles are stimulus-response animals.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
Alias47
This thread is two and a half years old...
But while you have it open...Have you EVER seen Bubba the Alligator?

If he isn't tame...I don't know the meaning of the word...

Took a TON of work...but he is most definitely tame...tamer than most peoples dogs or cats actually...

Old 08-28-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
bbbxcursion
I thought Bubba was dead when I saw him-he never moved........

Old 08-31-2005, 05:42 PM   #14
hhmoore
responding to an old thread, reopened

Can't tame a gator? Stimulus/response? sounds like the response of someone that has never raised a gator, lol. First, I will agree that many gators, while docile, do not become what we consider tame. Now to my story, and you can formulate your own response: I raised Cricket from a hatchling. Lots of handling and interaction - during the course of care, at various presentations that I did, and just because he was my favorite. I gave Cricket to a friend (experienced with crocodilians, and properly permitted) when I left the state. There was something of an attitude and behavior change reported to me when I called to check on him, but all was basically well. When I was visiting about 8 months after the exchange, I went to see my friend (and my 'gator). My friend left me at Cricket's enclosure and went to do something. I entered, and started talking to Cricket. He swam over to the edge of the pool, and lifted himself enough that I could reach him easily. As I reached in to pet/stroke him, he began chirping as I spoke softly to him. My friend returned, commenting that he had never seen him behave that way or heard him chirp like that. My response? "you're not his daddy", lol. I had a hard time leaving him behind; and, typing this now, I am bombarded with those same old feelings. Unfortunately, I just don't have the space for another gator, but (if you have the knowledge, space, and commitment) they can be wonderful and rewarding captives

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!