What happened to BOI???? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #31
Helenthereef
I haven't been contributing (so you can see non-contributors can see and respond to this forum) but am working on it (once I get Paypal set up).

In my case I didn't really feel motivated to become a contributing member because the features of membership seemed to be more directed to buyers and sellers, not to non-trading hobbyists. Once it was presented to me (via this thread and other threads where long time and obviously more involved members have been talking personally to Webslave/Rich.) that this site is held together by a single (and obviously very significant) person, rather than a large organisation, it started to feel more personal and important.

I wonder whether it would be feasible to have some sort of profile of Rich and how the site is set up / hosted somewhere prominent for new and incoming visitors, to make that clear to those of us who just wander in, and encourage small time hobbyists to contribute.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #32
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
[ If the BOI is going away and Fauna can still survive lock access completely to only contributors. Liability I think will be decreased because no one but contributors can read them or post.
Dennis,

You are innocent. I like that about you, you don't think like a bad guy. If stuff was posted anywhere, there would be some who would leak the posted info for profit or malice.

There are in fact closed information systems. The famous Consumer Reports sells online subscriptions to its info.

But let's face it, few people are going to surreptitiously talk about published dishwasher info, it doesn't have the same capacity for debate as Scolaro's red dresses. And the fact is, Consumer Reports does have a huge legal fund to zap anyone who seriously tries to re-publish their results rather than a bit of fair use repeat.

Dennis, I surely want some solution, and you have a good head for ideas, keep them coming.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #33
DAND
What I can't understand is why people don't contribute to keep this site up and going. I just looked at the past 24 hours and of the 1414 members that were online in the past 24 hours only 134 are contributing. That's over 90% who do not contribute. So my question to the 1280 or so of you who do not contribute, why not contribute? Is $25 bucks a year going to break you? Of course not, so again, why not contribute? Hell for a measly .06849315 cents a day you can help keep the BOI alive. It's not like Rich is going to be sitting back and getting fat off your money like Sally Struthers.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #34
porkchop48
Dave help me out here........

So to view the BOI you have to be a contributing member correct?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #35
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I think no one can view the BOI.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #36
LBenton
I feel that taking the BOI away so that it can not even be viewed by non-paid members will be a nail in coffin here.

I can understand the liability and cost issues, but if it is not open to the public then it might as well be disbanded, after all it is supposed to be a tool for the public to make informed decisions about who to deal with in the herping industry. Not just a private club that does not share secrets as to who is a dirt bag and who will back up a deal / promise they made.

So to me it seems like to function at all it really needs an all or nothing approach in my opinion.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #37
porkchop48
Ok so I guess there is not really a point in contributing to view the BOI if it wont let me view the BOI.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #38
dragonlvr64
This has been a test run by the owner of the forum. It is only to be a test.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #39
Junkyard
I just contributed a couple days ago and now no BOI. I gotta say, if you take the BOI away for good, I would be rather disappointed and want my money back. Rich, I can understand the reason for your test.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #40
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop48 View Post
Ok so I guess there is not really a point in contributing to view the BOI if it wont let me view the BOI.
From what I understand this is a temporary turn off of the BOI to let everyone know that if something doesn't change the BOI will be gone.

I'm guessing that means if the funds aren't there the BOI won't be either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!