Timing out and losing 'new posts' - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Timing out and losing 'new posts'

Hello fellow fauna fans,

My first stop when logging on is always the 'new posts' button. Sometimes I start reading a really long thread and get timed out. So, I log back on and all the 'new posts' that I missed are gone. I understand why this happens but I don't like it since I lost all the new posts that I had wanted to read (darnit, I just don't like it! *stomping foot* ). I understand using the 'remember me' function but I don't want to stay logged on all the time since I am not the only one that uses this computer. Am I just stuck having to go through the forums homepage subject by subject looking for new threads based on date? Is there an 'unread posts' button or some way around this? Or is it that I am just a really, really slow reader?

Thanks for listening to me vent... any help or ideas are greatly apprecaited.
-April

Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Twizted Paths
Happens to me too. I'm a fast reader with really slow dial up. I try to remember to log out & have my browser set to dump all my logins,cookies & what nots when I close it.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
WebSlave
Well, the obvious solution is to check in here more often each day...

Actually I changed a setting, but I'm not sure if it will do what you want or not. We'll have to see. But in any event, the admin setting for searches (which include NEW POSTS) is set to limit a search to 200 hits per event. So please bear that in mind. This is done to try to protect the server from excessive loading during these searches. With the current number of posts per day, that is about a half a day's worth of posting here....

Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Well, the obvious solution is to check in here more often each day...
LOL
good point.

I guess I need to cut back on the multi-tasking when logged on and just focus and read, read, read!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Actually I changed a setting, but I'm not sure if it will do what you want or not. We'll have to see. But in any event, the admin setting for searches (which include NEW POSTS) is set to limit a search to 200 hits per event. So please bear that in mind. This is done to try to protect the server from excessive loading during these searches. With the current number of posts per day, that is about a half a day's worth of posting here....
Looks like it extended the time period the system uses to decide we are no longer here. I've recently been off for well over an hour, and come back to the same items in the new post section (plus whatever new ones have been posted since my last visit).
Not sure why, given the limit, but I sometimes get more than 200 new posts...but, usually, the total cuts back to 200 after I open a thread (or two) and return to the new posts section.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
WebSlave
But did it make a difference concerning the original problem? I believe those two functions are tied together, so we can't have one without the other. Unless there is another setting somewhere that I haven't stumbled upon in the admin section.....

Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
But did it make a difference concerning the original problem?
I wasn't experiencing the other problem, so I can't say....
Mine wasn't so much a complaint, as noting the change/difference. If it gets to be confusing, I can always log out - not a big deal on my end.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
But did it make a difference concerning the original problem?
It seems to be working and keeping me logged in longer, I'll see how it goes over the next week or two and let you know. Thank you!!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Actually I changed a setting, but I'm not sure if it will do what you want or not.
It seems to have done the trick, I am not getting timed out like I was before. Thank you!!

Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
WebSlave
Well, I'm glad it helped. Thanks for letting me know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!