FedEx Certification - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
it's about time the "old" FedEx thread was condensed a little.
Once upon a long time ago I did that~ here is what I put together if it helps anyone. I have pics somewhere of the shipping box I used and how I packed it~ but those may be lost on one of the MANY PC melt downs I've had.

This is posted in a couple different places~ but if it helps here it is again:

It's now possible to get certified to ship snakes legally through Fed-Ex. Credit for the instructions really needs to go the www.faunaclassifieds.com where there is a long thread (24 plus pages) detailing how to become certified to ship Fed-Ex. All I did was condense that long thread down into a series of step by step instructions.
1. Open a Fed-Ex account. Wait at least 24 hours for account to activate before going on to step 2.
https://www.fedex.com/signup/oes?en...ntid=f037262224
2. Prepare a shipping box. Just like one to ship a reptile. In deli cup, or whatever you would put the snake in, put a post it note that says something like “Live harmless reptile goes here” Seal up the box just like you would to send it. Don't forget to use insulation and a heat or cool pack. (I did not activate the heat pack~ I just put a note on it indicating it would be activated if an actual snake where enclosed)
3. Fill out this form
http://fedex.com/us/services/pdf/PK...tion.pdf?link=4
4. Put the form and the packing box into a larger box to ship them to the address on the bottom of the form.
5. NOW call your account Rep. Call 1-800-463-3339, give them your account # (From step one) and ask who your local Rep is and how to contact him/her. Mostly at this point you just want to know who your Rep is and let them know that you're working on getting certified to ship live snakes. I've had 3 different account Reps in just 9 months~ but it seems to me they are very nice to you if you are very nice to them~ and you want to be nice to them because they will hopefully hook you up with shipping discounts later.
6. Have your Rep connect you with "package testing." Tell them you need the acct # you should use to send a package to the testing lab so that THEY pay for shipping (as in Fed_ex pays to get your box and inspect and to return it to you).
7. Ship them the box. Wait. About a week.
8. Get box back ~Approved I hope, mine was first time. My box and materials were from “Scales”:
http://www.exoticlizards.com/miscel...e-supplies.html
9. Call your account Rep, explain that you need the Waiver to ship reptiles. If he/she seems confused, request that they contact James Brown in Legal. Fax the account rep a copy of your approval notice. (He/she needs to send it to James Brown)
10. Wait some more. Couple days, not long. Account Rep SHOULD FAX or E-mail you a copy of a Waiver letter to your BUSINESS name. (If not, call your Rep and inquire about the Waiver~ Remember ALWAYS a professional and friendly manner) Sign and FAX back. Try not to worry about the Business to Business part. Most of us have decided to interpret that as “Home Based Business” and my account Rep knows I live in a residential neighborhood and am a Home Based Business. When you ship something, just ask the receiver for a name of a “Business” if they should ever choose to become a home based business and send the package to the business name “C/O” whoever is purchasing the animal.
11. Wait a couple more days; you should get your signed and completed waiver back from Fed-Ex very shortly.
12. Call your account Rep before you ship your first box so he can set you up for discounts for using a MasterCard and printing labels on your PC (You don’t get the discounts unless you ask specifically).

Good Luck!

Edit: hhhhmmmm.....looks like my links are broken. Use the links Paul gave earlier. He has done this more recently than I have.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #12
Bill & Amy
Thank you to everyone that posted info in this thread!!!! My test box is on its way and my account rep called me today and will assist me and sounds very helpful. I honestly believe it wouldn't have went this smoothly without the info you provided!!!

I really think this needs to be a sticky!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #13
hunterjackson
Once I got my 'new' rep (fedex is currently changing the areas they are serving, ie: one rep is moving from one place to another) it was all over in about 3 weeks. No problems. My rep, who is outstanding, and should win employee of the month (with a special parking spot) every month is Erin Reid. She called me daily during the process, set me up with some great rates (don't be afraid to ask), and now that I am into it, she calls me weekly, or if I have a high priority package to make sure that it got there safely.

Hunter Jackson

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!