Keeping snakes in the same cage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Astara
Keeping snakes in the same cage

Hi, I currently own an Okeetee Corn Snake that's about a year old (it's still rather small). It's in a 10-gallon cage right now, but I will probably buy a bigger one soon.

I have been thinking about getting a Western Hognose, and I was wondering if I can keep the two snakes in the same enclosure. Does anyone know if this would be all right?

Old 11-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
No snakes should be kept in the same enclosure, whether or not they are the same species.

The #1 reason why what you asked is a bad idea; Cornsnakes have completely different care and habitat requirements then Western Hognose.

Cohabitation also has risks of cannibalism, stress and disease transmission.

The short answer to your question is "No. Don't even think about it."

Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Wilomn
I disagree. I have kept corns together for multiple generations. I have kept milks together for multiple genrations. I have kept hognoses together for multiple generations. I have kept jungle corns together for multiple generations.

Long ago, when I had my shop, I did many experiments on who would live with whom. Hogs and corns can live nicely in the same enclosure and can survive quite healthily.

Most don't recommend it but it can be done, is being done, with ease.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Sorry Wes, but I strongly disagree with you.

I feel that a responsible keeper would not risk the health of their animals whom have no choice in the matter. What would happen if someone followed your advice and one of the animals died because of it? I honestly have never heard of anyone recommending different species being housed together.

In the end, each owner will do as they please...However I choose to not risk the health and "happiness" of my animals by forcing them into a cohabited situation.

If you can not provide the proper care, you shouldn't have them at all.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Here's a good link showing both same species & different species cannibalism.

WARNING: Graphic pics included on thread!

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31192

Old 11-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
Wilomn
IF you read the post as written it, it asks a QUESTION.

The question is, CAN they be kept together. They can. I have done so.

IF you read the post I made, you may see that I did NOT recommend it, merely said that it had been done successfully on a multigenerational way that PROVES it can be done successfully.

YOU may not feel it appropriate, but I don't recall YOU as being in charge of all keeping methods.

Just because you won't doesn't make it wrong or unhealthy or take away from the "happiness" (and the ability to know whether or not a reptile is happy is another conversation entirely) of the snakes kept in such fashion.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
IF you read the post as written it, it asks a QUESTION.
And I answered it, with reasons why it's wrong.

Quote:
IF you read the post I made, you may see that I did NOT recommend it, merely said that it had been done successfully on a multigenerational way that PROVES it can be done successfully.
Your first statement in this thread implied to me that you were recommending the practice, when it is not a recommended practice. Completely skipping over the risks.

Quote:
Just because you won't doesn't make it wrong or unhealthy or take away from the "happiness" (and the ability to know whether or not a reptile is happy is another conversation entirely) of the snakes kept in such fashion.
Note that "happiness" is in quotes. I was not referring to a reptile being emotionally happy.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
And I answered it, with reasons why it's wrong.

Your first statement in this thread implied to me that you were recommending the practice, when it is not a recommended practice. Completely skipping over the risks.

Note that "happiness" is in quotes. I was not referring to a reptile being emotionally happy.
Ummmmm, I forget. WHY are you the one deciding what is right and wrong here?

You may well disagree with me, but I think you need to have something other than an opinion, which is incorrect, before you tell me that I am wrong.

Afterall, I've done it, which proves that it can be done.

Were you correct, I would not have been successful, ie wrong.

Perhaps you are not writing precisely what you are meaning.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Wes, so you think cannibalism, transmission of disease and stress related death is ok in your collection or store?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
Wilomn
Did I say any of those things were ok?

Can you catagorically tell me that every time you mix species this will occur?

If not, you may want to just let this one go.

I wondered myself long ago and did the experiments to determine whether or not it would work.

For me it did.

Care to refute that?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread