Wild Wild West - Part 2 - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #81
Laura Fopiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
There is nothing here that has happened to you or your mods that you cannot seriously blame on anyone other than you. It's your site, everything that happens is your responsibility.
Wes, you have been my friend for a bit, many here know that, however, I have to strongly disagree with that paragraph.

Being a member here is a privilege and not a right.

We as the members here, who chase the bad guys, get hit with positive and negative reinforcement from our peers, should absolutely take responsibility for our written words. Are we not what we write for the most part?

This is a very hot topic and one that I do not see an easy or happy ending to.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #82
KelliH
Quote:
I think it could work if a select group of members were chosen, similar to an election of sorts. Say a member would like to be one of the "warning point posse", the member could state their intentions or reasons why they could hold such a position of authority, and the other members could vote them in. That could prevent an all out "warning point assault"....just a thought.
If a select group is chosen, great, maybe they should be called moderators and they can enforce the rules of the site as mods do.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #83
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Fopiano
Wes, you have been my friend for a bit, many here know that, however, I have to strongly disagree with that paragraph.

Being a member here is a privilege and not a right.

We as the members here, who chase the bad guys, get hit with positive and negative reinforcement from our peers, should absolutely take responsibility for our written words. Are we not what we write for the most part?

This is a very hot topic and one that I do not see an easy or happy ending to.
I must disagree in part. Yes, it is a priviledge to be a member.

However, Rich is the owner, the originator, the guy who can pull the plug.

HE has to decide for himself if it is too much to deal with not lay it off on the membership.

He's tried restricting membership and banning members and policing members.

Now it seems as though he's throwing the wolves to the hyenas, the killers to the scavengers, so to speak.

It's his right, it's his site.

Just as it's my right to speak my mind so long as I stay within those loosely associated words that are the guidlines for behaviour here.

I'm not trying to be rude but who is ultimately responsible for every single thing that happens here?

The guy who can stop it all, that's who.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #84
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah
Its comments like this that make me wonder what your true reasons are for implementing something like this. Are you trying to improve the qulaity of this site or just share your pain with others?

Bart
Both. Perhaps that is what is necessary at this point because I am just not willing to do it any longer. So I'm handing over the keys to you all (those who qualify), to try to do better than I did with it.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #85
WebSlave
Quote:
IF you really don't like it that much, either delegate or abidicate but the complaining does get sort of worn. We ALL know that you get crap and that some of it is undeserved.

Welcome to Life 101.
Nope I don't like it that much at all. See my previous post as to your suggesting I delegate. THAT is exactly what this is all about. I thought most people would see it that way.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #86
Laura Fopiano
Honey you're not being rude, you're just being you as I am being me.

Rich is the one who gets all of the whinny emails, they are looking to him for some kind of answer that he may not have. Hell, I raised 5 children that were 2 years apart in age, I had to listen to every single complaint, from the washer to how come they get more than me? I wanted to tear my hair out at times.

But who are the wolves and who are the hyenas?

Guess we will all soon have answers to all of the questions.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #87
Mike Greathouse
What's the old adage?

You can please some of the people, some of the time...

Well maybe not.

Rich,
You'll be damned by some, no matter what you do.
You might as well have some fun while doing it.
I have seen the light and expect no more from the goings on here, other then the entertainment value.
Any real content will be perceived as a bonus.

Turn loose the wolves and let's all have some fun.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #88
WebSlave
Quote:
I must disagree in part. Yes, it is a priviledge to be a member.

However, Rich is the owner, the originator, the guy who can pull the plug.

HE has to decide for himself if it is too much to deal with not lay it off on the membership.

He's tried restricting membership and banning members and policing members.

Now it seems as though he's throwing the wolves to the hyenas, the killers to the scavengers, so to speak.

It's his right, it's his site.

Just as it's my right to speak my mind so long as I stay within those loosely associated words that are the guidlines for behaviour here.

I'm not trying to be rude but who is ultimately responsible for every single thing that happens here?

The guy who can stop it all, that's who.
Yes, that seems to be correct. So I am trying THIS now. So what was your argument about?

Delegate means to turn over functions to some people to do that work as agents of my will. Abdicate means to quit completely and effectively turn over control to one or more individuals in some sort of formal manner. Isn't that what I am doing? Abdicating my position of nearly sole receiver of headaches to all that I am delegating this function now?

As someone once pointed out to me, why should I pull the plug on this site when so many other people find it useful? That made a lot of sense to me. So with that in mind, I am trying to kill a bunch of birds with one stone with this new method of dealing with the headaches around here. And yes, some are not going to like it much, for certain.

Yeah, before, all someone had to do was to avoid pissing off the moderators and myself. Now (when this becomes active) they quite likely need to be circumspect about pissing off a whole lot more people who are carrying the same stick to whack them with. Yeah, it certainly will make life a bit tougher for them, I guess. But guess what? If that is what people want here, they will NOW have the ability to make it that way.

Did you ever see that old movie called "Screamers"? I really like the part when they were asked how they started up that factory to make those robotic creatures that defended the one side. The guy said something on the order of "We just pressed the STARTS button, and ran!"....

Welcome to the Wild Wild West, I guess..... I'm just handing those who want it, their own Colt .45.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #89
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
What's the old adage?

You can please some of the people, some of the time...

Well maybe not.

Rich,
You'll be damned by some, no matter what you do.
You might as well have some fun while doing it.
I have seen the light and expect no more from the goings on here, other then the entertainment value.
Any real content will be perceived as a bonus.

Turn loose the wolves and let's all have some fun.
Exactly, Mike! I made my pitch to make this a credible and professional site via rules and enforcement that I perceived as necessary to reach that goal. That was soundly rejected, but at least I made my shot at it. That told me volumes about what people really want here. And truth be known, it was no fun at all in making that attempt. So now, I plan to doodle with the programming in the background and do what pleases ME here. Yes, I plan to make this site fun and enjoyable for ME. So I am offloading (delegating) those parts which cause me the most headaches. No one has to accept that baton, of course, but afterwards don't blame me because it was too hot for you to grab hold of.

Will all of the members be fair in how they treat this new found power to shape this site? I doubt it. But like the game of Life I mentioned in the original post, it is going to be interesting to see how things play out here and what the results will be. The question you all need to be asking yourself is are YOU ALL up to the task to handle something like this?

Old 01-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #90
Wilomn
So, by this abdication and delegation are you OUT of the picture? Or, will you be hovering in the background, still making decisions and pulling strings?

Is this daycare without adult supervision or is grandpa only pretending to be asleep in his rocker?

It sort of seem like you're saying both, that it will be as it will and you'll let it go UNLESS or UNTIL ......

Not that it makes much difference, I just like to have things as plainly stated as possible. Less equivocation later that way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread