Micro Foods Are A Pain! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
WingedSweetheart
Micro Foods Are A Pain!

Well I have some eastern newts. Back a few months ago I was worried about my snakes being illegal to own so I emailed the DA and they told me as long as they are CB then I do not need a permit. However I don't think my newts are CB even though I got them from a pet shop. Kind of weird since I can just go outside and see these guys in my pond. I emailed about them separately but have yet to get an answer. That's a whole nother can of worms I'll deal with later...

Anyway all that was a bit off topic. Just felt I needed to explain a little so I didn't get jumped all over.

My dear little newts have laid eggs which from what I've read is a little hard to get captive eastern newts to do. Mine didn't lay but 7 eggs. Normally they lay a hundred or more. Two of the eggs were duds and four babies actually hatched. However one baby died by the next day. The other three are thriving! I'm very happy but boy are raising micro foods a pain in the rear! I mean once you get them started they are pretty much easy. They do all the work. Right now I have microworms and vinegar eels. My next step I think will be daphnia and then on to chopped blackworms. I'm hoping to get these guys to accept hand feeding like their parents eventually (fingers crossed).

The thing that makes the micro foods a pain is that once my little newts are on the next stage of food I will no longer need the last stage of food and I'm rather stuck as to what in the world I'm going to do with all this live micro food. I don't have any friends that breed fish or anything. I might make an add on here eventually to just give it away. Though people would probably think I'm trying to scam. I mean who gives stuff away for free? LOL! I could keep the cultures going and if all is well permit wise I could have food for if my newts give me more eggs. Or I could just not make new cultures and let the old ones dry up and die. But I kind of feel like that would be a waste considering the money that went into raising them.

Well that was my little rant and thanks for reading if you did!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
WingedSweetheart
Oops

It was acutally the DNR that I talked to about permits. Not the DA.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!