Facebook? Yeah and cell phones.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
WebSlave
Facebook? Yeah and cell phones....

I was just reading in the newspaper this morning saying that Facebook has something like 900 million subscribers. I set up a couple of accounts there myself a while back, but don't really use them. I must have "friended" some people a while back, because nearly every day I get a couple emails saying so-and-so did something or friended someone I may know, or whatever. I just delete them. Seriously, THIS must be the reason I see everyone and their brother with their nose nearly on their cell phone. They are checking out the BILLIONS of email messages evidently emitted by Facebook, as people post messages about what they had for breakfast, that they are standing in line at the grocery store, or little Johnny had his first unassisted bowl movement, photos updated....

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. And not only do I not get it, quite frankly, I'm not all that happy about the entire internet getting FLOODED with these sort of notices being passed between all those users, clogging up the internet arteries and servers with such stuff. Seriously, if you have more than a dozen "friends" on Facebook, I'm guessing that all you DO all day is read those types of notices that get emailed to you.

Well, to all you young folk out there thinking about trying to snag a lucrative career field, I am going to give you a word of what could possibly be very valuable advice. Get started on a career in optometry. Start NOW. In the future, THIS generation will come to be labeled as the "Squinty Generation", from staring at the little text on those little handheld devices for hours on end, day in and day out. I predict that after about 10 to 20 years of doing that, many people will become functionally blind and be needing the services of an optometrist for glasses or contacts. YOU WILL MAKE A KILLING IN THAT PROFESSION! EVERYONE will be needing such services. Mark my words...

In the meantime, speaking of cell phones, people, PLEASE, keep your damned nose OUT of your cell phone while driving down the road and pay ATTENTION to your driving. I see so many people weaving down the road as they are obviously trying to text messages, or read those messages, or just trying to find where they put that blasted cell phone when they got in the car and are leaning over the passenger seat to look underneath it, that it is downright scary and darn dangerous. Many people just do not have the cerebral capacity to drive safely 100 percent of the time as it is with the standard distractions inherent in driving, and they want to make matters WORSE by dividing that brain power even further?

Personally, I'm about as anti government and an advocate for individual freedom as you can get, but quite honestly I would be all for laws being passed that make driving while using a cell phone and getting involved in an accident because of it, every bit as severe as DWI charges. There is NO difference, as far as I am concerned. Alcohol impairs your judgment, mental abilities and reaction time. Being distracted by a cell phone does the same darn thing. Seriously, at 2 am in the morning, if you see someone weaving down the road, can you REALLY tell whether that driver is drunk, or just preoccupied with his or her cell phone?

And don't get me started about the cell phones people now have implanted in their ears. Used to be that if you saw someone talking to themselves walking down the road, you knew to just give them a wide berth and stay away from them. Not so any longer. They COULD be a perfectly normal human being, just talking on their cell phone that you can't see. But just a word to the wise here. When you are doing that sort of thing, to at least some of the general public, you look SERIOUSLY demented. And the more you tend to gesture for emphasis with your hands, the more insane and volatile you appear. I'm just saying.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!