Crossing lines with Ball Pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
waddlecaudle
Crossing lines with Ball Pythons

So I think many of you will agree that the Axanthic recessive trait in ball pythons (especially babies) make some of the most gorgeous patterned morphs out there. My question is, can you cross lines (and not just for Axanthic, I am just using it in this case because I currently have a SK Axanthic).

For example, will:
0.1 VPI Axanthic x 1.0 TSK Axanthic make,
Axanthics or
Normal hets (somehow)

I don't know how changing lines could change the genes, but I don't see anyone doing it and there has to be a reason.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
NCGeckos
Not sure if you ever got an answer or not.
The answer is no you cannot combine the different lines of axanthics. They are all located at different points on the chromosomes so they don't match up. If you combine two lines you will get double hets...each parent will pass a copy of it's respective gene on to the babies.
I suspect that they all act by interupting the process by which the yellow pigments are made but not necessarily at the same point in that process.

There are some cases where different traits are located at the same place, these are called alleles. An example would be the blue eyed leucistics which can be made with a variety of different genes all located at the same place. Mojave, lesser, butter, Russo, etc.
You just have to investigate each trait you are interested in. Usually the breeder can tell you if any other lines are compatible with what they are selling.

John

Old 04-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
Has anyone ever produced a (confirmed) double homozygous SK/VPI Axanthic? Axanthic's don't retain the crisp greys and blacks seen at hatching, I would wonder if a double homozygous might correct that issue.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Has anyone ever produced a (confirmed) double homozygous SK/VPI Axanthic? Axanthic's don't retain the crisp greys and blacks seen at hatching, I would wonder if a double homozygous might correct that issue.
Theoretically this concept could work. Genetically the different lines of axanthic are different morphs that do the same thing, so breeding double hets to make the combined axanthic would be logical. The only problem I see in doing this, is how to tell which line of axanthic would pop out, and how you could tell the double axanthic apart
This reason alone may be why no one really wants to do a pairing like that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!