6 month 09 Albino Arab hasn't gone number 1 or 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
jeffroe334
6 month 09 Albino Arab hasn't gone number 1 or 2

I have an 09 Male Albino Arab. I've had him for almost two weeks. When I got him he was hungry and super skinny like I could feel his back bone from both sides almost. The breeder that had him kept him in a shoe box tpye deal in a rack.

He ate a fuzzy mouse the first day I got him. A week later he ate two prekilled rat pups like as quick as I could blink. I fed him both times in seperate container form his house.

He hasnt' passed any uriates or poop since I have had him (I don't know if this is a blessing in disquise) or if he has something wrong maybe???

My opinion is he was just real hungry and thin and his body absorbed most of the food. I know he should pass the hair from the mouse though.

Can someone familiar with baby boas let me know if it's normal for them to go a while without using the bathroom?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Helenthereef
I'd wait a while and try to feed him again, you're probably right that he's used most of it, and it may be taking a while for his digestive system to kick in.

Did you see a visible bump in his side after he ate, and if so is that still there or has it gone?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
jeffroe334
Thank you for responding. He had a visible lump for about 48 hours then went back to normal. Boas I had n the past usually religiously deficated a week later after feeding. He's very alert and all normal functions r there like flicking ton gue and being curious. Thanks again

Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I don't want to represent myself as an expert here, and if you continue to feed him and he doesn't defecate eventually, I would take him to a herp vet for a check up.

I have a small Fiji boa who has been on hunger strike for 6 months, during which time he doesn't defecate, and only passes urates when I'm handling him (a lovely stress reaction he's developed). I have force fed him three times, and a week later he normally defecates, as you say.

Unless someone more knowledgeable comes up with conflicting advice (in which case I'd take it, as I said I am no expert), I'd fed him a couple more times, and if he doesn't defecate within another 2 weeks, I'd ask a vet.

You might also want to try soaking him, he's probably dehydrated, and if so, feeding him when he's not drinking could possibly cause some kind of intestinal blockage.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Twizted Paths
Give him some time, some of my BCIs only go once a month or so, some go after every feeding. It all depends on the snake.

If you're really worried wait until you're sure he's all digested and put him in a luke warm tub for a swim. Just make sure he has stuff to grab on so he doesn't tire out.

Be careful not to overfeed him to get him up to speed, slow and steady is much better for him in the long run.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
jeffroe334
I'm going to give him another couple days it's also been abnormally cold here in South Florida for several days now even though he has the right temperature in his home.

Like I said I only had him going on two weeks so maybe he's still nervous he wasn't held much because I got him from a breeder. I've been warming him up like every three days or more taking him out and working with him. He's a little jumpy but he hasn't bit me or anything.

thanks everyone

Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Twizted Paths
Yay!! Picture

Even if he was handled a lot before you got him it takes a few weeks for them to settle in & babies are naturally jumpy. He'll finish figuring out that you don't intend to eat him soon enough.

Good Luck with him

Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Yeh, he's thin, but a Annabella says, he's probably just holding out on you until he's settled in. You say he's active and responsive, so I'd just give it time before you get a lovely icky present.... Look forward to nice plump pics of him in future - Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
jeffroe334
Thanks for the advice I have two other snakes in proxomity to where he is but he can't see them, I wonder if he knows their near bye. My daughter has 2 kenyan sand boas.

I'm also going to move him n about two weeks to a more permanent ap cage I bought for him. Hopefully ill get the mess soon.

Thanks again

Jeff

Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
evilcowboy420
I know when I was worried about my baby boa using the bathroom she ended up doing it after soaking her. The soaking that was mentioned earlier is the best thing you can do for it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!