Info Heads up on Gourmet Rodent - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #41
Big Borg Reptiles
I figured since I just got a package from GR that I'd post it as well. This is my consistent experience with them. All snakes packaged and insulated well. These pictures were taken in reverse because my main concern was getting them into their enclosures first, but I wanted to show what quality of packing they use for me (and I would assume for everyone else).

I even had a snake that was ambiguous with sex in my last order, I sent them a video showing this and told them specifically that I did NOT expect them to do anything until I was sure it was sexed incorrectly. I told them I wanted to wait a couple weeks and sex again to make 100% sure because there was a chance I was wrong, but they sent me a replacement with this order anyway. I couldn't ask for more in terms of awesome customer service and quality.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #42
Big Borg Reptiles
And just to prove this was from them.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #43
Greg Riso
One thing I would definitely do differently (and do), is place the heat pack neatly in a single page of folded newspaper, after it's been activated for an hour or so. I then tape the outer edges of the heat pack to the inside top of the box with the red stripe of the pack facing into the area to be warmed
The newspaper placed over the heat pack, when secured in one spot above the animals, helps prevent direct contact with the heat pack itself. It also helps prolong the output of the pack by slightly limiting oxygen consumption, which is what activates the contents.
I only work with rainbow boas which can die from prolonged exposure to temps over 85 F, so in my case, it's better to be on the cool side, than hot.
By just tossing a heat pack loosely in the box, there's no guaranty the pack won't end up in direct contact with one or more of the animals packed within. I measured the surface temperature of a 40 hr. heat pack at >135 F after less than an hour. That's pretty damned hot IMO!
If the animals pictured in this thread were in deli cups directly next to the heat pack, they may have died from to much heat, not the cold.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #44
Big Borg Reptiles
The heat pack wasn't wrapped but there's no way it would have moved during transit the way my box was packaged. It was still super warm and working perfectly.

Also, the reason they recommend letting the heat pack warm up for an hour or so before putting them in is that they peak quickly and then stabilize.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #45
SPJ
Nick, you had a lot more material in your box to prevent things from moving around.
Maybe they made a change since my shipment.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #46
Big Borg Reptiles
Yea Steve, I agree that if that's all the packaging that was in yours that it was definitely insufficient. I just haven't had the same experience you have, that's why I was really surprised to see this thread. I just wanted to share what I'm used to seeing.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #47
Greg Riso
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Nick, you had a lot more material in your box to prevent things from moving around.
Maybe they made a change since my shipment.
Yeah Steve, in your pic, the heat pack is sitting right between the deli cups which is exactly where I would NOT want it! For the record the 135+ temp I recorded on the pack was well AFTER an hour of having opened it. I didn't dare seal the box with it blaring away like that.
On the receiving end in Utah, a few weeks back when things were still pretty cold, the snakes temps (3 total) were 64-65 F, which was the lower end of the range of 65-77 F I was shooting for.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #48
Aryia
I just received a package from GR and remembered this thread and I think I know where the problem might lie.

The packing looks and is professional, except the heatpack seems too small for the giant box that they use. The snake I ordered did arrive alive but she was ice cold when I opened the box and she couldn't even hold her head straight for the first couple minutes. (Note that the heatpack itself was actually still warm, but the snake was literally ice cold, the snake was diagonally furthest away as she could be from the heatpack). She's becoming more responsive as she's warming up though. This was in 55-60 degF weather. The OP lives in CT which has temperatures that go way lower especially a couple months ago and I can easily see something go wrong given that the heatpack wasn't actually warming the box properly.

I honestly don't believe a little bouncing could kill a snake in the matter of a day unless someone at Fedex was doing some hardcore smashing. Plus they do put enough packing material into the box.

I sent them a message about it and I hope they will look into this issue. I haven't had trouble communicating with them and everything so far has gone very smoothly. The way they responded the OP makes me feel like they are responsible sellers and definitely are looking into the issue.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #49
Warren_Booth
I also wrap my heat packs in a few layers of newspaper, but I am now questioning why I do that? What will a layer or two do in regards to the heat pack coming into contact with the reptile. Given that these are not hand warmers, but heat packs, they should not reach a temperature that would burn the reptile. If anything, wrapping it in newspaper will reduce its contact with the air and reduce the lifespan of the pack. Any thoughts on this?

Warren

Old 05-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #50
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_Booth View Post
I also wrap my heat packs in a few layers of newspaper, but I am now questioning why I do that? What will a layer or two do in regards to the heat pack coming into contact with the reptile. Given that these are not hand warmers, but heat packs, they should not reach a temperature that would burn the reptile. If anything, wrapping it in newspaper will reduce its contact with the air and reduce the lifespan of the pack. Any thoughts on this?

Warren
I started a thread in the general discussion area so as not to get this thread off topic, here you go:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...73#post1817173

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!